Re: Cord Reel

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 14:12:08 -0700, Don Y Gave us:

snip

Nice reel!

Answer Get a smaller plastic one and a smaller cord to let the neighbors borrow, and for smaller 'jobs'. And when you need to transport that one, just use an actual hand truck. Problem solved. No kludging, and both it and the hand truck remain what they are.

The alternative is to look at the trucks used on banding systems.

Except they are prohibitively expensive. Maybe ebay has better prices or cheaper models.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Note the cable exit (from the reel) is currently "framed" by a set of 4 orthogonal rollers. I don't really see what this buys me? How is it different than front or rear dispense?

Isn't that just the same as the current *knob* -- except for the distance from the center? I.e., a knob on the circumference is essentially the same as a *crank* (originating at the axle) having a length equal to the radius... (the reel itself becomes the "crank")

Reply to
Don Y

What do you consider "front" and "rear"? :> I figured connecting an (appropriately shaped) handle to the "back" of the reel -- the fixed frame from which the axle protrudes. E.g., a long, slender L-shape would allow the end of the handle to be accessed from the "front" or "rear" dispense orientations; a straight handle being accessible from the "hand truck" orientation.

If I put *two* wheels on any single "side" (my three examples), then the opposing side will rest on the ground. There's enough mass there that *it* isn't going to move, of its own accord.

[Wood would be a bad construction medium; I'd use diamond plate for such a solution]
Reply to
Don Y

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 12:14:59 -0700, Don Y Gave us:

It was originally meant to hang from a ceiling in a service garage bay.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 12:20:25 -0700, Don Y Gave us:

There are cheap, old tektronix carts out there with dual heavy casters with brakes on them, and they are already mounted on steel rails too.

I used a set to move a 700Lb CVT around the garage floor. They are rated at like 1500Lbs. Hard to find them used and cheap though.

This one is ONLY $40 and has a nice drawer too!

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

oh, I wasn't aware.

you don't want the knob passing behind the wheel, or getting too close to the wheel, when you're trying to wind the cable up,

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

On 6 Jul 2015 07:10:57 GMT, Jasen Betts Gave us:

Did you even look at the picture?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Correct -- but that would be the same issue for the *crank*. You obviously have to consider the wheel axle location and dimensions of the wheels wrt the rest of the reel ass'y.

I've been debating the size and style of the wheels/tires given the likely places I'd have to drag it. E.g., a hand truck

*tends* to be used on paved/manufactured surfaces (capable of supporting weights that it is called upon to transport) so can have small, hard wheels; this, OTOH, has found use in far more varied locations (e.g., often being carried across lawns/yards)
Reply to
Don Y

I looked at some pictures. they are gone now.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to