Re: A-O (American Optics) Tapers...

> I am looking for an official drawing or spec sheet on a taper that isn't > listed in the Machinery Handbook and doesn't seem to exist on the > Google-search-braintrust called the Internet... > > It's apparently known as the A-O (aye-ooh) taper and is short for > American Optics. > > Apparently, it's a taper that has been around for 50+ years and used by > folks in the optical industry to hold specialized tooling. But because > the tooling is hand loaded in many cases (not for long if I have > something to say about it), the taper isn't all that precise. > > Well... In my industry, precision is key so if a drawing(s) exist > anywhere, I'd love to compare them. > > Problem is, I can't find a single one. > > Any A-O taper experts out there with links to drawings?

There is an Electro-Optical Engineer on news:sci.electronics.design named Phil Hobbs that might be able to help you. I added the group, since there are a lot of knowledgeable people on that group.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thank you. I didn't even think of changing to another group... Old habits die hard!

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 x113

01.908.542.0244 Flagship Site:
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Multiple Spindle Drills:
Production Tapping:
VIDEOS:
FACEBOOK:
TWITTER:

V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

The American Optical taper is used for mounting tools on optical polishing machines.

None of my optical finishing or optomechanics books has a specification, but I did come across these folks:

who supply laps and grinding tools with an AO taper. You might ask them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Phil,

Thank you. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'm working with a company that makes an A-O taper reamer to build the tools that folks use... But their reamer drawings are off by almost 0.020" at the large end of the taper as compared to the tool that is apparently made by said reamer.

...And I checked the small end too - which I lined up and matched the diameters.

Fun stuff!

Again, thank you. Much appreciated.

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response