Re: 89C51ED2

> >>TT_Man wrote: > > >>>Anyone using this part experiencing problems? we have used them for 4 > >>>years > >>>or so. Date codes up to 0705 work ok, 0814 misbehaves....same chip, same > >>>software, 0814 doesn't execute properly... > > >>Have you contacted the manufacturer ? > > >>Graham > > > Yes, that was my first port of call, with full details, source code etc.and > > an indication of the approximate area of failure, within 10 lines of > > code...... > > *Within* 10 lines of code? Not more specific? Probably "C" code...

I think two causes are most likely:

(1) Something isn't being initialized. The memory locations of an 8051 are not forced reset at power on. They can have any value in them but a given chip will tend to either have highs or lows.

(2) A timing of interrupt issue. If the interrupt code messes with something that the non-interrupt code uses, the results can depend on the exact timing of interrupts. Which instruction an interrupt happens on can be effected by where the chip's 0/1 boundary is on the input lines.

Reply to
MooseFET