Surface mount component in receiver likely to fail/respond to being hit?

OK, This is a long shot and I'm not an electronics expert by any means but here goes.

I've got an older NAD surround receiver that has started to break down. Basically it seems the left front channel in particular was giving out. Strangely enough, I found through another post on the Internet that you can temporarily fix this by banging the receiver on the one side. Naturally, I thought bad connection but after taking the cover off I can't see any bad connections.

However, I *think* I have narrowed the problem down to one board with a few surface mount components. It seems that when I tap it with a screwdriver it affects the sound. In particular there is a crystal of some sort on this board along with some IC's and other components. Again, I don't see any bad solder joints.

Is there any component that is likely to break in this way? I was thinking maybe the crystal, but I have no idea. I can put up pictures of the board if it help. TIA for any help!

Reply to
TwoBearCatz

It is a recurring problem in radios for silver migration around the edges of the ceramic plates in 3/5/6 pin ceramic resonators to cause problems and also people banging xtals with screwdrivers ;-)

N Cook

Also the board connectors - particularly if it is a mother / daughter board scenario. Ifyou have really pinned it down to that board using a fist, hammer and chisel, you should now be able to refine the search down to a specific area, and then component, using a combination of heat, cold, and the butt end of a Biro pen ... d;~}

Any SM components can get / have bad joints on them, but you often need something with a bit more optical gain than a Mk I eyeball, to spot them.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

When you hear hoofbeats, first think horses, not zebras.

Try variously pushing, wiggling turning etc the controls and switches. You may find one or more that affect your problem. "Low-Level" and source and tape selectors are notorious for this type problem.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias