question: multiple crystals or one?

Yeah, I thought of those things. Hey, I have to live with it.

There are regular thermostats backing it up as overrides, in case it gets colder than 55 (turn on heat) or hotter than 80 (shut off heat).

Plus we run the woodstove all winter, and the furnace can run 100% of the time without problem. The worst that could happen if the board fails miserably is that we get uncomfortable.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I chose to put 16 ohm limiting resistors on the mosfet drains. That keeps the mosfets within spec for Vds max when they both conduct.

I updated

I'd rather not mess with the GPIO line because of how much trouble I went through to get the tri-state sensing working right.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

That should work. If it is too long you will get a distinct "tristate" period during a transition.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Le Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:20:30 -0500, DJ Delorie a écrit :

Why not implement the two solutions in the PCB ?

1/ 1 crystal on each MCU,

2/ A simple BJT/Crystal based Colpitts oscillator followed by a single schmitt trigger gate (Fairchild NC7SZ14) that distribute clocks signal to each xin MCU pin.

and make some tests ... i personnaly prefer the second one. EMI issues depends on how PCB signal are routed (traces placed near a Ovolt low impedance plan).

Habib

Reply to
habib.bouaziz-viallet

There are one-wire serial protocols that are much less sensitive to clock precision. FM or MFM data for example. They can effectively do that calibration loop for every bit... probably unnecessary.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Say what? After the clock goes through the baud rate divider there isn't anything near to that much variation.

Usually because it's auto-bauding, not because any particular baud rate is off.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

There is if the *clock* has that much variation.

Not according to the chip's specs.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

In perfect conditions async serial w3ith 10 bit symbols can handle 2.5% frequency error at each end (or 5% at one end)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen