crystals

Good Morning All,

I have no experience in destroying crystals by physical abuse, but they always come with the warning "fragile"

Can anyone clarify how fragile they are? Anecdotal old-timer and new-timer input is most welcome.

Reply to
David Eather

David Eather wrote in news:icOdnQyUYtkC2BfTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

A 0.1 mm thick small sheet of glasslike(quartz) material, suspended on 2 thin wires. Now what happens when you abuse that? (hint, it might shatter?)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Kind of like a processor chip, only less wires.

Reply to
brent

People stick them in model aeroplanes and them plant the plane into the ground at 40mph and the crystals still work (mostly), but I hear dropping one 4ft on a hard floor will kill it - so I don't know what to think

Reply to
David Eather

For constant acceleration from rest,

v**2 = 2as,

where a is the acceleration and s is the distance it acts through.

If you drop a crystal a distance S and slow it to rest in a distance s, the delta-V is the same magnitude, so the ratio of the accelerations is

a/g = S/s.

Thus if you drop it 1m and bring it to rest in 1 mm, it experiences 1000 gees. If it's more like 100 um, because a little thing like a crystal won't dent the floor or its own case much, that's 10,000 gees.

A model airplane slowing from 40 mph (18 m/s) in half an inch experiences an acceleration of

a = 18**2/0.012 = 27000 m/s**2, or about 2750 gees.

So a drop on the floor can easily be 3x worse for the crystal than a model airplane crash.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A lot depends on what kind of crystal it is, how it's packaged, and so on, but I know I wouldn't want _any_ of them to fall off my bench onto the hard (tile, hardwood, concrete, etc.) floor.

I guess a good rule of thumb would be to handle it like an egg.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Phil Hobbs"

** You just equated m/S with a drop distance.

Realistically, the radio receiver inside a model plane is cushioned against motor vibration in a foam wrap and situated in the middle of the fuselage. That fuselage has to collapse before the Rx come to a stop after a hard impact.

18m/S equates to a drop distance ( in vacuo) of 16.5m and the real distance to stop is more like 0.1 to 0.2 metres.

So the impact force experienced by the radio and crystal is about 80G to

160G.

The real killer of crystals is severe vibrations at a few hundred Hz - a so I am surprised to see them on PCBs inside high powered speaker boxes used in PA systems.

FYI: they are associated with inbuilt uP control and DSP systems.

BTW: crystals used in RC gear are normally the HC49 style.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That's (18 m/s)(18 m/s)/0.012 m = 27000 m/s**2, which is an acceleration. (It's actually the acceleration due to stopping in a quarter of an inch, because I forgot the factor of 2.)

It's intended as an upper limit, to show that falling on a hard floor is easily as violent to a small crystal as crashing a model airplane.

If the plane comes apart, the acceleration will probably be much less than this, but the point is that even if it doesn't, it's still gentler.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I used to try and change frequency, and that usually meant fracture.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

A picture can be worth more than a thousand words. So here are the innards of a HC-49 crystal:

It can be ok if the inner guts hit the can. They'll bounce back. But there'll eventually be a limit reached where the disk comes off or the same thing happens that you'll see when a wine glass falls onto tile.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've done that a few times. Didn't have any breakage. But most were the old style military crystals that you could open with a Philips screwdriver and take the crystal out for sanding and polishing. Only one was a HC-49 but that worked in a radio for more than a decade. Bet it still works but then I married and ham radio went onto the back burner :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"Phil Hobbs"

** Invented examples have to be realistic or nothing is demonstrated by them.

They are just bullshit.

Like you.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Where was that dimensional error you accused me of, again?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (03 Oct 2011 23:37:11 GMT) it happened Sjouke Burry wrote in :

I have not seen them shatter, but I have seen the connections come lose.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Here's something real: one of my students designed a tiny telemetry system built onto a PCB only about 2 square cm in size. He panelized the design, stuffed the panels, and used a milling machine to cut the boards apart. About a third of the crystals didn't survive the process.

-Jim MacA.

Reply to
Jim MacArthur

"Jan Panteltje"

** There you go again - Mr WOG SHIT HEAD.

What you have NOT seen is testament to how ignorant you are.

Only COLOSSAL FOOLS brag about their own ignorance.

Piss off.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Crystals used in filters in some old telecommunications frequency domain multiplexing gear when I first started my first job were maybe 5mm wide x

40mm long and mounted in a tube similar to an old valve / vac tube. The gear was full of them.
Reply to
Dennis

I wish that that saying could somehow be turned into a catchy phrase that would then become a cliche and then used often.

Reply to
brent

"brent" "Phil Allison"

I wish that that saying could somehow be turned into a catchy phrase that would then become a cliche and then used often.

** Hmmmm - nice suggestion.

You mean something along the lines of:

" If wishes were horses, then beggars could ride. "

or:

" If you cannot blind them with science, baffle them with bullshit. "

or how about this one I just though of:

" Truth is often stranger than fiction, while fiction is simply never true. "

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

People stick them in model airplanes, soldered to receiver boards and wrapped in foam (or firmly attached to the structure with double-sticky tape). The shock of any impact gets significantly diminished just by being soldered into a structure.

Leave off the foam packing in an engine-powered plane, and you'll have a free-flight airplane some time before you land. (This I know from experience -- three times, because I was a slow learner when I was 18).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to