Query about big IGBT

Greetings Burridge.

The built in anti parallel diode is not included for ESD protection reasons. Many topologies that IGBTs are used in require an antiparallel diode to conduct freewheeling currents or whatnot. This diode is included packaged with your IGBT to optimize use with these types of circuits (so external diodes with extra cost and lead inductance aren't required). Unlike the power MOSFET the antiparallel diode is not inherent to the IGBT design, so it is a separate device which has to be deliberately included inside the IGBT package. Many IGBTs can only block around 20V or less of reverse emitter collector voltage before they avalanche breakdown. Some IGBTs are however reverse avalanche rated for a small amount of energy.

Usually the antiparallel diodes that get packaged with IGBTs are fairly well matched to the IGBT in terms of current rating and switching speed. Feel free to make use of it in your application if needed. The datasheet should include some kind of specific information regarding the diode (such as current rating, reverse recovery time, forward voltage, thermal resistance to case, etc.).

If would be helpful if you told us what the IGBT part number you have, and/or provide us with a link to the datasheet.

Reply to
Fritz Schlunder

Ah yes... Figures 19-22 characterize the antiparallel diode's performance. If it were a discrete part it looks like it would be rated for somewhere around 30A DC.

By the way. Those are some nice IGBTs you got there. Try not to blow them up, lest I weep for them.

Reply to
Fritz Schlunder

Bwahahahaha! 10KHz! Bwahahahaha!

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

^ k... 10 kHz ;)

No shit. Why not modulate the spark from the stereo and run open headers? :P

Happy New Year.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Hi chaps and HNY.

I've acquired some 600V igbts in the chunky, chock-block S0T-227B package. Though they're optimised for SMPSs, I plan to use them in electronic ignition to fire the primary of the ignition coil in short bursts of around 10Khz. They have an inbuilt "hyperfast anti-parallel diode" across the collector/emitter. Is this diode just for static protection or is it designed to perform as a snubber? The datasheet doesn't say and probably assumes the designer knows what they're doing, which obviously I don't. Can anyone disabuse me of my ignorance?

Thanks.

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.
Reply to

Greetings, Schundler,

I'm most awfully sorry. Here it is:

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.
Reply to
Paul Burridge

I shall so endevour, hence the original question.

I see via Google that Jim T. is risking a total, inadvertant, colonic evisceration by laughing too violently at my original question. Can some kind soul fill me in on what's supposed to be so funny?

thanks.

p.