Testing IGBTs?

Is there a simple way to static test (ie, without power supply, etc.) an IGBT?

Google turns up simple diode junction test a la BJT using DMM. Is this an effective test?

I've got a 3-phase variable speed motor drive that is acting up. IGBTs are at the top of the list re. failures in these, I hear.

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

They're a bit difficult to test without a PSU, except to say that most of the faulty ones that I've seen have been s/c, so easy to see that with an ohm meter. You could easily jury rig a 'test bed' with a battery and a couple of resistors. The data sheet for the device might even show a sample test fixture for determining the published characteristics.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

an

Probably not. It'll catch some internal short and completely-open failures, but that doesn't cover all the bases. Best would be, of course, a curve tracer type tester.

e at

Check connections, unplug motor, and wire a light bulb (or pair in series) on each phase and look to see if they all light brightly. The motor, if connected, will just complicate the diagnosis.

Reply to
whit3rd