Quercus Douglasii

Quercus douglasii, known as blue oak, is a species of oak endemic to (found only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothills of the Sierr a Nevada.

Quercus douglasii prefers dry soil and plenty of sunlight. It is the most d rought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

Individual trees over 500 years old have been recorded, although most are l ess than 300 years old. Recent research has found several unlogged stands o f blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor over 500,000 acr es (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

blue oak tree ring measurements used to determine California is experiencin g 500 year drought...

That is one tough tree. Thankfully some ass never harvested the 500 year ol d specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Here's 130+ years of snowpack measurements, up near Donner Summit.

It's erratic as heck, but there's no gross long-term trend. A few years of drought aren't uncommon.

We're having big fires mainly because people keep putting out small fires.

nd only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothills of the Sie rra Nevada.

drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

less than 300 years old. Recent research has found several unlogged stands of blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor over 500,000 a cres (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

ing 500 year drought...

old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

There was a documentary on PBS not too long ago.(*) A guy cored a bristle-c one pine for some fool study, counted the rings, and discovered he'd just cored the OLDEST LIVING THING ON EARTH.

Nice work, genius.

(*) This might be it:

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

YES! CA blew it when they fired Smoky.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 10:39:01 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wr ote:

ound only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothills of the S ierra Nevada.

st drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

re less than 300 years old. Recent research has found several unlogged stan ds of blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor over 500,000 acres (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

ncing 500 year drought...

r old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

-cone

ed

Oh, pardon my recollection, he took a chainsaw and CUT DOWN the oldest living thing on earth, a 5,100 year-old tree. For a global warming study.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 11:41:11 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wr ote:

(found only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothills of the Sierra Nevada.

most drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

are less than 300 years old. Recent research has found several unlogged st ands of blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor over 500,0

00 acres (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

iencing 500 year drought...

ear old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

le-cone

ored

.

Wasn't that 55 years ago? It was a different global warming under study.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

o (found only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothills of t he Sierra Nevada.

e most drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

st are less than 300 years old. Recent research has found several unlogged stands of blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor over 500 ,000 acres (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

eriencing 500 year drought...

year old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

stle-cone

cored

dy.

I've encountered ancient bristlecones in the wild, high in the Sierra Nevad a.

They're sacred. National treasures.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 8:54:27 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wr ote:

to (found only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothills of the Sierra Nevada.

the most drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

most are less than 300 years old. Recent research has found several unlogge d stands of blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor over 5

00,000 acres (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

xperiencing 500 year drought...

00 year old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

ristle-cone

st cored

tudy.

.

ada.

Huh, James, you're a treehugger then? :^) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 8:54:27 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wr ote:

to (found only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothills of the Sierra Nevada.

the most drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

most are less than 300 years old. Recent research has found several unlogge d stands of blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor over 5

00,000 acres (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

xperiencing 500 year drought...

00 year old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

ristle-cone

st cored

tudy.

.

ada.

What does that have to do with your false claim that a global warming resea rcher killed a pine? When it turns out this happened a half century ago and had nothing at all do with the modern study of global warming...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Bristlecones are not very huggable.

mic to (found only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothills of the Sierra Nevada.

is the most drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

gh most are less than 300 years old. Recent research has found several unlo gged stands of blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor ove r 500,000 acres (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

s experiencing 500 year drought...

e 500 year old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

a bristle-cone

just cored

dest

g study.

udy.

Nevada.

Grin, all the more reason they are in need of our affection then.

Years ago my future wife and I were hiking in Yosemite, someone had told her that the ponderosa pines smelled like pineapples, and we were wandering around in a grove of them sticking our noses into the big cracks.

Not quite a hug, but still affectionate. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Don't tease us. DO they smell like pineapples?

demic to (found only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothil ls of the Sierra Nevada.

t is the most drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

ough most are less than 300 years old. Recent research has found several un logged stands of blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor o ver 500,000 acres (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

is experiencing 500 year drought...

the 500 year old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

d a bristle-cone

'd just cored

oldest

ing study.

study.

a Nevada.

ng

Oops a Jeffrey pine it appears...

Us easterners can't tell one big pine tree from another.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ndemic to (found only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothi lls of the Sierra Nevada.

It is the most drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

hough most are less than 300 years old. Recent research has found several u nlogged stands of blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor over 500,000 acres (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

a is experiencing 500 year drought...

the 500 year old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

ed a bristle-cone

e'd just cored

/

oldest

ming study.

study.

ra Nevada.

ing

Hah, You are going to have to get "up close and personal" on your own. It looks like there should be plenty of Jeffery pines near Truckee.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

und only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothills of the Si erra Nevada.

t drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

e less than 300 years old. Recent research has found several unlogged stand s of blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor over 500,000 acres (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

cing 500 year drought...

old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

pg

No one is interested in your untutored amateurish attempts at interpreting data or doing research...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I must own 100 or so pine trees, but I don't know if they are Jeffreys; all plants look pretty much alike to me, wood and green bits. I have trouble with faces, too; my brain only works well on schematics.

I'll find out if ours are Jeffs, and maybe sniff a few. As far as I can recall, they smell like pine oil.

Gosh, Fred, you are such an amusing, delightful fellow. You must really enjoy life.

to (found only in) California, common in the Coast Ranges and foothills of the Sierra Nevada.

the most drought tolerant of California's deciduous oaks.

most are less than 300 years old. Recent research has found several unlogge d stands of blue oak woodlands, suggesting that the state may harbor over 5

00,000 acres (200,000 ha; 2,000 km2) of such old-growth forests.

xperiencing 500 year drought...

00 year old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

ristle-cone

st cored

tudy.

As Fred has pointed out, actually a 1966 study of what actually happened in North America during the little ice age. The information collected is of i nterest to current anthropogenic global warming researchers, but anthropoge nic global warming was a pretty tentative hypothesis back in 1966, and back then nobody was cutting up trees as a source of data on the subject.

And it's unlikely to have been be the oldest living thing on earth at the t ime.

.

ada.

To whom?

does suggest that you mean that they don't have any intrinsic value, but ga in significance by some kind of attachment to some other entity which you h aven't bothered to specify.

Why? Who would notice if they weren't there any more? Or get any more upset about it than you did about getting rid of the passenger pidgeon?

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

That is one tough tree. Thankfully some ass never harvested the 500 year old specimens to build a ...hot tub...or something.

Bill, you have no soul. And you have no scientific curiosity. You are dead thing. The dinosaurs are no longer here but we know that they existed. Why do we study them if we didn't care what knowledge we can gain from that study? I thought, erroneously, that you were intelligent. But now I see that you are simply a good writer and a devil's advocate.

Reply to
John S

There's no practical knowledge to be gained from studying the dinosaurs. Th e best excuse the paleontologists have to offer is that it gets kids intere sted in science, anything beyond that is phooey. You wouldn't know a bristl e cone from a thistle cone and would just as soon break off a 3,000 year ol d branch for your campfire to roast pig dogs or marshmallows in a weak atte mpt to create memories for that sorry ass existence you call a life.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred