PWM and Stall Torque

G'day All,

Selecting power regulators for the motor drive circuitry of a small robot. The motors are part of gearbox/motor assembly (Tamiya 70087).

What I need to know is what is the effect in terms of current being drawn under stalling conditions if PWM is being used?

Thanks

Reply to
allsey87

Is the voltage clamped, and the current continuous (filtered with an inductance somewhere, including armature inductance)?

You can limit stall current to whatever you want, of course, but looking at a stalled motor as a plain old resistor, you'll get whatever V = I*R says it should be. If you limit PWM to 50% of full rated voltage, then you'll get half of rated stall current (assuming it is rated at full voltage), and so on.

Tim

Tim Williams

"allsey87"

** Same DC current flow as that produced by the equivalent applied DC voltage under stalled conditions.

Long as you know the supply voltage, motor winding resistance and PWM duty cycle - just use Ohm's law.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Presumably, it would be set by a current limit in your PWM switch; at least that's the way I did my last PWM thing. But in the case of the one I worked on, the motor was properly sized so that it didn't stall under normal operating conditions.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise