pulse transformer

I was looking at some Murata pulse transformers.

They have a parameter called ET in microvolt seconds. I searched for it and found this
which says "ET measures the energy-handling ability of a transformer or inductor" which I guess is an indication of how hard you can drive the inductor before it saturates. There's an equation on page 35, N=ET/(B*A*10^-8) It seems that this equation, which is in cgs, should be the same as the MKS equation B=V*t/(N*A), i.e. N=V*t/(B*A) where ET (microvolt seconds) corresponds to V*t (volt seconds). Now I get that you would need 10^-8 to convert cm^2 and gauss in the cgs version to meters and Teslas in the MKS version but that leaves the factor of 10^-6 in the ET parameter unaccounted for. What am I missing? In case you're wondering, I'm interested in these Murata pulse transformers for a blocking oscillator because they're a lot cheaper than other transformers and common mode chokes and such that I looked at.

Michael Robinson

Without worrying about what's going on inside, the datasheet volt-second rating is simply how many volts you can apply across a winding for how long, until it saturates. 56 v-us means you can pulse it at, say, 5.6 volts for 10 us.

You only need to bother about the page-35 sort of equation if you plan to wind transformers yourself.

John

MKS

transformers

Pretty obvious now that you've explained it. In a blocking oscillator that runs to saturation on each pulse I guess that ET figure would give you some idea of the frequency it would run at. I might buy a couple of these transformers and experiment, it should be interesting to see what happens.

Michael Robinson

Right. Maybe a bit lower, since the specs likely leave some margin.

A blocking oscillator has two phases: transistor on and transistor off. The on time you can calculate from the v-s saturation spec and the supply voltage. The off time has to do with the base capacitor recharging through some resistor. Add them up to get the period.

Blocking oscillators are cool.

John