Proprietary SMPS design tools, what for?

My once-and-future Linux cluster had 14 Opterons, which for FP-intensive tasks blew the doors off Xeons of the same vintage.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Being inbetween. ;-) It's designed for corporate types. I get about three hours out of mine, if I don't crank the backlight up. The backlight seems to take about half the power.

Reply to
krw

But don't corporate types have to crunch lots of numbers with Excel? That would require math horsepower just like SPICE does.

WRT power watch the WLAN as well. Often it defaults to "on" and gobbles up lots of power even if you never access a network.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

AMD engineering seems to be really good. The sales folks, well, maybe not so much.

This laptop with the Turion is about four years old and back then it regularly blew expensive desktops at clients out of the water. We often run sims concurrently to get data for various configurations quickly. So except for some numeric part values it's the same files. The faces when mine was finished and their "big machine" was at 75% completion were priceless.

Of course then it needs its AC adapter because it'll suck the battery dry in under an hour when doing sims. Plus the fan on the Durabook is very loud, quite annoying, and sends paper sailing off the desk.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Not even close. Neither does Free Cell. ;-)

"On" and "High power" too. Of course I've never gotten the wired LAN working in my house, so it's always on at home.

Reply to
krw

I would say never design your own SMPS but use a well flogged chip run past apps. There are so many gotchas in SMPS design that you will eventually be burnt.

Reply to
miso

enth

m ST.

time

as

try

liff

LTC

hem

doing,

t are

a will

als.

els

ary

use

me

of

PICE

ter,

oing

r they

m (me

if I'd

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Every desktop machine I have running is AMD, either dual or quad core. Only in notebooks do I use Intel.

Reply to
miso

=A0

ong

.

in

ty.

ed

.

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

.

Until recently, the Intel chipsets had inferior memory management compared to Intel. For instance, AMD has long interleaved memory.

AMD has the memory controller in the CPU, while Intel has it in the chipset. Intel released quite a few chipsets that can't even do

4Gbytes.
Reply to
miso

But I've done it, and even current-controlled ones. The highest level of integration used in those designs is usually 1/6th of a hex Schmitt such as the CD40106 or 74HC14 :-)

If I feel really generous I might spring for parts of a LM324 in the feedback paths, but usually not.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

My only attempt at a wireless router arrived DOA, so I _still_ pull CAT-5 ;-)

My "new" little Lenovo has built-in wireless more-things-than-I-can-count... all of them shut-down ;-)

Reminds me, I need to pull an RO tubing over to my aquarium... I'm tiring of carrying buckets of water ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The hose came wired with CAT-5, but the piece from the great room (the router is on top of the book shelves) to the wiring closet is broken. I haven't figure out if it's just an end or it's busted in the wall somewhere.

You don't have to treat the water, even with RO?

Reply to
krw

From '77 to '87 I designed (off-line) SMPS's for GenRad portable devices... never used anything more exotic than combinations of LM324/LM339/TL431 in the loop... take that back, had some 4N35's in some of them. Power devices were Motorola high-voltage bipolar's (MJE... ?) with load line control so good I didn't need heat sinks for

250W outputs... to wit, my infamous, "Wonder how hot this is", grabbing a flag... it was cool thermally, the 400V P-P got me, much to the delight of the technicians ;-)

...Jim Thompson

About

mine

We have three RO systems in the house, kitchen, master bath, and a 55 gallon drum in the garage for the aquarium. Aquarium (salt water) evaps about 2 gallon/per day :-(

I think I can snake a feed from the master bath thru the ceiling and down the wall to the aquarium.

...Jim Thompson

Why would you go and do it discrete when a TL494 has all the chip stuff onboard already (or UC3842 for flyback)?

Yes, it's just as easy to do, but it takes four times more ICs and resistors, and what do you get? Pretty much the same thing.

Funny, I was touching an MJE18008 the other day that had a good 140kHz squarewave on it, easily 300Vp-p. Didn't feel a thing. Nothing electrical (and nothing thermal either ;-) ).

Matter of fact, the transformer's ferrite core, which is nearest to the 2kV supply's secondary (which was making about 3kVp-p at this time) didn't feel like anything at all, though the 0.05" spark makes a nasty smell from your finger's outer layer of dead skin (or worse if you hold it there..).

Was yours really so bad that you got shocked by it? How did that happen? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

krw a écrit :

About

mine

Nice! That way you can go on surfing while doing some gardening...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

That happened to me last year. Finished a design, had the layouter put big fat high voltage warnings on the silk screen. In English and in Spanish. Had to because the circuit is small and innocently fed from a

12V rail yet packs quite a wallop. Guess who was bitten by it first?
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

About

mine

It's not *that* big of a hose.

Reply to
krw

I don't even want to know how you keep your hose up. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Concrete.

Reply to
krw

=20

better=20

=20

=20

=20

had=20

all=20

=20

=20

we

engineer.

use in

so

simplified

approached

complex

justice.

models

which

rest.

in

clients=20

About=20

mine=20

FP-intensive=20

=20

As a matter of track record AMD optimized FP performance instead of integer performance. They also optimize 64 bit performance over 32 bit performance. Intel chose differently.

Reply to
JosephKK