proper response?

Then, having been through your interview before getting the job, he must have known exactly what you wanted to hear. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm sure Jim is a teddy bear both on and off the groups. :-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I certainly am ;-)

Though you'd not know it from last week's Ahwatukee Foothills News.

Five out of six letters-to-the-editor took issue with my suggesting that the pansies-in-spandex, riding their bicycles side-by-side, down high-speed thoroughfares, are just natural selection waiting to happen.

I was upset because I was greeted by such a sight a few weeks ago while rounding a blind curve on Chandler Blvd going up the hill to

24th Street. Had I been driving my pick-em-up truck instead of the Q45 I would have simply slid over three of them.

I think it was the "pansies-in-spandex" that got their goat ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Make that "goats-in-spandex" and you've got yourself a deal.

I have no idea what that means, but the visual is worth it..?

Reply to
mpm

His answer sound exactly like something I would say.

Now, if he said "I will check it as if a senior citizen designed it", I would have beaten him senseless with my cane. ;)

G.

Reply to
ghelbig

So the fact that you're negotiting a blind curve at much too high a speed makes it THEIR fault?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

That's a sentence that'd be fully in character for me as well; sadly my (otherwise great) boss completely lacks any sense of humor so I wouldn't pull that kind of crack on him.

Something along the lines, "That's why I want it reviewed by an idiot as well." Actually, it depends very much on your relationship with him. If there is mutual respect for each other, and both parties know how far it reaches, this kind of banter is very enjoyable. I do it all the time.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

ROFL. You made my day. Again.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

All you're doing is self-identifying yourself as an ignor-anus by saying something like that. I'm not sure exactly what spandex is but the cycling material is something called lycra. Any kind of a ride worth doing is going to require tens of thousands of leg pumps. If you're not wearing shorts that are skin tight, stay in contact with the skin with no relative motion or abrasion, you will be an oozing open sore of large dimensions before you're through. Then again, the cyclists should not be riding side-by-side on the high speed road so your complaint does have some justification, but they do have the right of way in most states so woe be tied you if you so much as tap them with your car.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Le Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:03:57 -0700, John Larkin a écrit:

Me too. OTOH I try to *not* design it as if an idiot designed it.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

He sounds like a punk to me. A "full check" my ass, and no questions about your idea of the vulnerabilities or how extensive your DRC runs were?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

(1) There is a designated bike lane... they were not in it.

(2) The speed limit is 45. My feeling is bicyclists should not be allowed on streets with speed limits exceeding 25, unless there is a designated lane, and they stay in it.

...Jim Thompson

To do good design, and especially to get it right on the first try, you have to be ambitious, irreverent, and arrogant at the start of the process, and proceed to terrified, conservative, and paranoid towards the end. I seem to screw up most on the "easy" stuff, maybe because I concentrate too much on the challenging, more interesting parts parts.

We check each others work, which is an excellent way to find the "easy" mistakes. The environment has to be right... when somebody finds a mistake in my designs, I try to be grateful.

John

Oh he's good, smarter than I am. DRC is of course checked by the layout guy and the pcb software, and that just works as routine. I asked him to check the *design*, which involved both the schematic and the layout, but the layout from a perspective of bypassing, crosstalk, thermal issues, and general beauty. He found a few good points, which we debated, and I did make a couple of changes.

The real goal is to have a sellable product on the rev A etch, without prototyping.

John

They were not in the bike lane. I was actually under the speed limit due to traffic congestion.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

A good part of my learning experience was sharing a cubicle for several years with Tom Frederiksen at Motorola.

It was SOP to throw stones at each other's designs.

Some of my best work came from Tom saying, "You can't..." ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Ohio, I'm told by my Bike Store, has decided to enforce a law requiring me to ride on the pavement, not the berm or sidewalk. I expect many deaths from this, due to teenagers and mom's in their big SUVs/Minivans talking on their phones, who already seem to try to get just as close as they can. So I think Jim is correct about the spandex pansys and their attitudes. Jim, mow em down!, You've got my Support, and I bike 40-60 miles a weekend!

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

We have designated bike lanes on many streets here... it's a leftist weenies thing... like it's saving significant gasoline ;-)

But the pansies won't stay single file in them. They insist on riding as many a 5-abreast.

We're going to have a massive nasty accident one of these days... and the pansies aren't going to like my laughter.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, aren't you an old fart?? -just wondering :)

Around here, the older people get, the bigger cars they seem to drive. (Probably something to do with nearsightedness?)

If you lived here instead of the desert, you'd probably have yourself one of them Cadillac Eldorados by now, with the "aircraft-carrier" style hood. It'd be a cinch to fling one of those pesky bicyclists over something like that. Probably wouldn't even notice ....

Unless you're over 100 that is, then it's "Sit Low, Drive Slow". (The Motorist's Poem) (We call 'em "Q-tip Drivers" for obvious reasons.)

Then again, why would someone who's concerned with their physical fitness take the risk?! I mean one good sideswipe and you could ruin years of physical training and conditioning.

Oh, and for the other poster, lycra is for the "in-shape" athletes. It seems "Spandex" is reserved for the excessively fat people at the gym. Ewww.!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

At least it wasn't designed by those dammed Geico 'cavemen'

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida