proper response?

lol.

I raced bikes for years, put thousands upon thousands of training miles in, and have heard that sort of comment countless times.

Occasionally some knucklehead would act like you talk. They get themselves yanked out of the window and their asses kicked. The driver's crying apologies and begging are always the funniest part. The cyclists actually don't really care what you say, they just like to have an excuse for the fun of your beating. Good clean fun -- you have to love it.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

Depends! Around 1985 a bicyclist cut me off and I almost hit him. So I chased him down, held him and called the cops. They cited him for riding a bicycle under a pedestrian signal.

Twenty years later I'm seriously suffering from the combination of childhood polio and arthritis. If a bicyclist thinks they can make me cry they will have to do it while plugging their bullet hole with one finger.... though a Glock generally puts one completely down ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I have an athletic physique and so wear "spandex" (lol) every chance I get. I shave my legs too. Chicks dig it all. It works. If they are lucky, I take my shirt off.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

Is he the one that wrote "Intuitive IC OP AMPS" Design?

I finally picked up a copy of that and it's on my pile to read.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

No, it's true - I've met him physically, and he's a very nice person.

But then again, he has to be - he's about 5'5". ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

s,

You just can't do too much checking.

I recently picked up work from a fellow engineer who left for a better job. He had just received a backplane board that had, instead of holes where coax cable was intended to pass through, silkscreen circles. Other than that, the board worked perfectly.

I had Layouts-R-Us redo the board, this time with actual holes. They got the holes right, but now one of the power connections is missing to all 8 connectors.

At least this can fixed with a string of jumper wires. I didn't have any spare holes in me pocket to fix the original effort.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Read page 14 thoroughly ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I failed to mention, like Aysdie here, 5 of the 6 letter writers had that assumption of bicyclist superiority, while the 6th said I was "right on".

One said, "Old man, stop putting on your make-up, and pay attention to the road".

Lemme see now, old man... one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand..., or dear, should I apply the brakes... oh dear, what is that crunching noise ?:-)

Jerks! 3977 pounds plus me beats a bicycle every time ;-)

...Jim Thompson

What a load of lying shit.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I used to drive a 73 Chevy stepvan for my personal vehicle. (Who needs a wimpy SUV?) 6150 pounds empty, and I've had over 9000 pounds of cargo in it. I just blew the horn, and let them decide to get out of my way, or not. If some idiot sees a truck that big coming down the road and thinks he can pull out in front of it and expect it to stop, there isn't much loss to the gene pool. I never did install those air horns. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

maybe " that's why I want it reviewed by a *different* idiot"?

Reply to
rebel

Um no, I didn't say that. I am saying your death wish is as big as any cyclist's. Now there is equality, not superiority! lol

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

mpm snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

If i was having a very awake moment i might have said, "I am less interested in your pre-evaluation editorials than your professional critique."

Layered communication like that usually takes preparation.

Reply to
JosephKK

"Jim Thompson" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

What you need is a Volvo A40D - I.M.O. the only vehicle capable of teaching rabid cyclists, old farts in mercers, grannies with zimmer frames and teenagers in Peugeout GTI (turbo)'s some respect for both traffic and road conditions!!

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

It's good attitude o take when proofing 'perfect' work....like something off the boss's desk. Proofreading docs at the board level art stage is a thankless job, but if done well can save your ass. The less familiar the proof-reader is with the work, the harder it is to do effectively.

He should probably have kept his mouth shut, though. As a 'new hire', he's probably interested in finding out, as quickly as possible, if you can be trusted and whether it's worth hanging around.

My own attitude, very early on, was actually probably the same as my employer; give it six months before deciding to commit seriously for the long term. Now-adays, I just look at the project and work around obstacles (administrative or otherwise) for it's duration. No comment on which is more fulfilling.

Not having been a 'new hire' for a while yourself, it's maybe a good idea not to expect to come up with automatic responses when they're unlikely to be applicable. Full marks for keeping your own trap shut.

RL

Reply to
legg

ALL Volvos look like construction equipment.

John

I have got "no respect" from R from the moment I met him, much less hired him. I don't want respect, I want good electronics. I've had too many engineers who would plough on, doing stupid things, because "John said to do it that way." I need engineers who will preferably argue from the get-go, or at least go off, try it, and come back soon and say "this is a crock, I have a better way."

No engineer should ever turn off his ability to think, no matter how much authority is stacked against him. And tact should be applied selectively... it's not a good idea to call a new customer an idiot, but it's fine in a friendly context.

We have a common goal, to make the electronics as mind-boggling good as it can be. It is impressive how important, or how destructive, egos can be in this respect.

John

Speaking of stupid, didn't you even finish reading his post?

"Lemme see now, old man... one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand..., or dear, should I apply the brakes... oh dear, what is that crunching noise ?:-)

Jerks! 3977 pounds plus me beats a bicycle every time ;-)"

-- Jim Tompson

I'd say his wish is more to inflict death on others.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Or Tonka toys.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You mean the "...believed to have been first used". :-)

Robert H.

Reply to
Robert