problem with the Interpolation algorithm

Hi all, I'm trying to design a DIY oscilloscope that can be connected with a PC and I want to be able to display signal at frequency as higher I can... (in theory fs/2).

I'm sampling at 100 MSPS with an 8 bit ADC, 45 MHz bandwidth. Eventually my plan is to achieve 200 MSPS. I'm having problem trying to interpolate the input data from a 2 kbyte buffer and please visit my blog to see the problem:

now in my blog I have attached 2 picture that shows why I believe my interpolation algorithm is not working...

I rewrite the function for clarity.

function sinc_interpolation(buff: TCH_BUFF; Fsample: float; t: float): float; var i: integer; sum: float = 0; x_nt: float; Ts: float = 0;

begin

{ x(t) = sum [ Xn sinc(pi/T(t-nT))] sum all the n... }

Ts := 1 / FSample; // sample time sum := 0; for i := 1 to BUF_SIZE - 2 do // remember to fix the bug inside the FPGA begin x_nt := buff[i] * sinc((t - i * Ts) / Ts); sum := sum + x_nt; end; Result := Sum;

end;

WHat am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Francesco

Reply to
Francesco Poderico

nd I want to be able to display signal at frequency as higher I can... (in theory fs/2).

my plan is to achieve 200 MSPS.

ffer and

.co.uk/

rpolation algorithm is not working...

oat;

FPGA

I've no clear idea. Classical interpolation uses curve-fitting to find a value at some point between two or more fixed pomts.

Two points can only define a straight line, three a curve (a tilted parabola), four a higher order curve. Any noise on the points can put a lot more wiggle into the curve than is likely to be real, so if linear interpolation isn't good enough, the next step is usually to least-squres fit a parabola to five or seven points.

You seem to be using the idea of fitting all you data points to an orthogonal set of of sine and cosine waves, and doing your interpolation by working out the value of the sum total of this set of sine and cosine waves at some intermediate value.

The catch here - as with linear interpolation - that the higher order components of the fitting function are much more sensitive to the noise (and any rounding error) on the raw than the lower harmonics,

The half-step in your raw data looks like high frequency content to your algorithm, and is spread right across the data as a spike on every switching transition. You need to truncate your fitting function to frequencies that you hardware can respond to.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Google "Gibbs phenomenon" for some possible insights.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

Google "Gibbs phenomenon" for some possible insights.

-- john, KE5FX

Or 'window error'

Reply to
Bruce Varley

want to be able to display signal at frequency as higher I can... (in theory fs/2).

plan is to achieve 200 MSPS.

and

interpolation algorithm is not working...

The standard sorts of kludge for this involve other interpolation methods like spline or similar interpolation between sample points. My advice would be to use one of these on a local support region of 3 or 5 points rather than the entire buffer. Much faster and looks nicer too!

Sinc(x) is notoriously badly behaved in the time domain since it is a perfect bandpass in the frequency domain. The phenomena you observe goes by the name of Gibbs phenomena and there are various kludges to hide or ameliorate it in the literature.

Normally something like sinc(x)*exp(-ax^2) is used to allow a much shorter summation over the buffer and less ringing on transients. Using sinc or even better behaved prolate spheroidal Bessel functions for interpolation only really matters if you intend to look at your measured time series data primarily in the frequency domain.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

You can scale a sinc function such that it has its maximum at a given sample, while it crosses zero at all other samples. Doing this for every sample, and summing them all up, you end up with a curve that goes through all the samples. You can then use that curve to get values *between* the samples, i.e., interpolations.

It just so happens that the horizontal scaling of the sinc's to force them to zero for all samples --except one-- makes that their spectrum cuts off at Fs/2 exactly, and that is then of course also true for the sum of all of them. *If* the sampled signal was also bandwidth limited to Fs/2, the interpolations are exact!

This is precisely what the sampling theorem is all about. While it is usually attributed to Nyquist or Shannon, this view of of the theorem was worked out 35 years earlier! Here is a reference:

E.T. Whittaker, "On the functions which are represented by the expansions of the interpolation theory", Proc. Royal Soc. Edinburgh, Sec. A, Vol. 35, 1915, pp. 181-194.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen

Gaussian weight, eh? Makes sense.

Settles a lot faster (faster than exp(-x), versus 1/x), though still technically infinite. You really only have to carry that out to however many bits you have (2^(12 bits) ~= 3/a^2?), which helps, but would you window it for less, and if so, what?

For purposes of interpolation (graphical or numerical representation), you'd want to know at what point extra samples produce no change in the result, either as a sub-pixel remainder, or numerical precision that's simply being rounded off ...which is a harder question to answer.

???

Oh neat, I found the source paper:

*blank stare*

Oddly enough,

said DPSS windowing function has a familiar name!

And the Kaiser window is related, but not exact, so its sidebands are a little sloppier. Neat.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

I want to be able to display signal at frequency as higher I can... (in theory fs/2).

plan is to achieve 200 MSPS.

buffer and

interpolation algorithm is not working...

float;

Tanks Martin, I have tried and in fact it looked much better indeed! I'm still adding on all the buffer... I'll try to reduce to N sample only...

Thanks, Francesco

Reply to
Francesco Poderico

Keep M$ out of this!!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Just like every other "discovery", the person given the fame was not the first (nor the best). America was not discovered by Columbus (he was looking for India and called the peoples found Indians), but more likely by Lief Erickson and/or others ages ago. Oil was not discovered in the US,but centuries ago in China and even a thousand years before Spidletop, in the region of Israel. Fame was given to the person (and place) WRT Spidletop; the other places (and people) predating that are lost. White light holograms were seen and produced in the early 1800s.. .. the list is endless.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The most common windowing function for sinc is a single lobe of a stretched sinc function, resulting in a Lanczos filter:

L(x) = sinc(x).sinc(x/a) | -a < x < a = 0 | otherwise

where a is a whole number indicating the number of lobes to use. Higher values produce a closer approximation to a sinc filter at the expense of requiring more samples.

Reply to
Nobody

I have also tried that,it is better but I can still see some overshoot. Thanks, Francesco

Reply to
Francesco Poderico

Thanks Tim, I have tried sinc(x)*e(x^2/3) and it looks not too bad.

Regards, Francesco

Reply to
Francesco Poderico

on

ise

Lanczos is a name to conjure with. He's one of a number of people who invented the fast Fourier transform before J. W. Cooley and J. W. Tukey discovered it in 1965. Carl Friedrich Gauss got there first around 1805, but Lanczos found it in 1940.

I found one of his textbooks very useful when I was a graduate student

- probably "Applied Analysis" 1956.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

His "Variational Principles of Mechanics" is another excellent read.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

interesting stuff you discover on internet

Reply to
Francesco Poderico