PrintScreen directly to file?

Hi Folks,

This week I'll have to do a ton of PrintScreen copies because the software I am using doesn't have much in terms of graphical storage functions. So far the drill is:

  1. CTRL-PrintScreen
  2. Click into graphics software window
  3. Paste into a graphics software
  4. File -> Save As
  5. Type name (usually doesn't have auto-increment)

Needless to say this costs a lot of time if it has to be 100-200 times in a row.

There are lots of programs that do PrintScreen to file but hard to say which ones are really robust. I need one for XP and if it had an auto-increment function plus true bitmap storage that would be great. It doesn't have to be free, but good and of course virus-free.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I use...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

this:

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

... and I shall try that. Thanks!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I had found that but this turned me off "You can code something pretty simple" :-)

This site doesn't answer right now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

PrtScr (no Ctrl required) goes straight to save as file, then to print hardcopy, if desired. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

It

hot...

scroll or search for InterceptCaptureScreen.exe

I tried it, it worked

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Just tried it. Muy excellente! It doesn't have auto-increment but it does do time-stamping which works just as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

this:

Thanks, probably just something stuck in the backbones out here. Anyhow, I loaded Jim's suggestion and it works perfectly.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Glad you like it. I've been using it for about two years now. Every new project seems to require a new tool... the Long Island stint two years ago provoked Greenshot and GetData Graph Digitizer. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

tm

Reply to
tm

I have one I wrote, it's on my site. I use it for stealing icons (images) from websites or where is on the screen.. It has a cropping feature so you'll get what you want, not the whole screen, but you can take the whole screen if you wish. It sits on the task bar so all you do is click it and it makes a snap shot of what you have in full screen, you select what you need then process it.

I could always be a nice guy and make one that auto increments for you :) It's been a while since i've looked at it and I don't remember if I made a auto increment file name or not? But it could be done very easy.

I just checked, it does have auto increment for file save.

There is no installer, just put it in a folder where you are allowed to write in.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Not a recommendation for a printscreen to file, but a suggestion for a much better workflow that will make your life more bearable.

CTRL-Printscreen ALT-tab CTRL-V ALT-tab

This is for Paintshop Pro and gives files called Image1,Image2.... Syntax for IrFanview (recommended free image program) is same but the latter does not autosave by default.

Repeat ad nauseam and the imaging application should automatically increment the file number for you. Then when you are done save all files automatically (some programs will offer to do this for you when you try to exit but check with a small number of open files first!).

Also this way you can save them all as lossless compressed PNG or something equally compact rather than as bloated Dozey BMP

The exact paste-as-new-image magic key chord varies between application slightly but is usually CTRL-v or CTRL-V or SHIFT-Insert

If you are any good at all at typing this is all pretty quick.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks, Jamie, that is very kind. But I've got a solution using the same SW as Jim. Nice thing is you can re-configure it fast via the Windows tool bar if you need the copy action to change.

No auto-increment but time stamps. Meaning a little more scribbling on the note pad and, unfortunately, the Windows desktop shows only hours and minutes but not seconds.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'll try PNG one more time today. PNG works great for CAD here but in screen shots I saw degradation. The BMP file will only be there for a couple of days, then they either get converted, pulled into reports, or deleted. Less than 2MB per file.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What is probably happening is that you have PNG set to save images as paletised 8bit (256 colour) images (great for PCBs and schematics).

This can play havoc with fancy pastel shaded GUIs on modern displays. There should be an option for 24bit RGB PNG saving somewhere. Also most all quantisers are exceptionally dumb about images where there are less than 256 colours to begin with.

I tripped over a similar problem with bad quantisers last month generating some demonstration test piece images. I went around the loop twice because I could not believe my eyes when I did it the first time!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Jim, how do you make that dreaded "Exported to: ..." Windows blurb not show up?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'm not seeing that. How are your preferences set up? I'm using WinXP, are you perhaps using something later? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

It

Aha, thanks. That was it, turned off "notifications" and the blurb is gone.

XP here as well. Last known good Windows-OS.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It

Notification is very practical. But I'll never understand why programmers make them permanent. It would be so much better if they show up for 2-3 seconds and then vanish.