This is to announce the release of gerbv-2.0.0! Gerbv is an open source Gerber file (RS-274X only) viewer for Linux and other unix flavors. Besides viewing Gerbers, you may also view Excellon drill files as well as XYRS (pick-place) files. For more information, browse to gerbv's web site:
Gerbv is allied with the gEDA Project, an open-source collaborative which has produced an end-to-end tool chain for PCB design on Linux and other unices. The gEDA Project's website is here:
Gerbv release 2.0.0 represents a a whole new look for gerbv. Most importantly, the layer control GUI has been made much more powerful through the outstanding work of Julian Lamb. Julian has also re-worked the GUI's button and menus to make them more convenient to use. We are certain that you will find gerbv-2.0.0 even easier to use than before because of Julian's amazing work!
Other changes include:
- Julian Lamb incorporated the cairo graphics library into gerbv, thereby enabling export to a variety of different output file formats, including PDF, PS, SVG, and PNG. (GDK rendering remains available as a configure option for older Linux systems.)
- Cairo rendering also supports "transparency mode", showing you which layers are underneath other layers.
- Drill parser rewrite by Joerg Wunsch giving better support for internationalization and formats.
- Added report windows showing statistics of Gerber and drill codes used (as well as CAM errors) by Stuart Brorson.
- Parser improvements from Stefan Petersen and Julian Lamb.
- Aperture handling improvements from Stefan Petersen.
- A new unit test suite (and nightly test runs) by Dan McMahill.
- Improved autodetection of file-type by Stuart Brorson.
- Improvements in the graphical rendering of pick-and-place files.
- Export of images from the command line (cairo only).
- Complete implementation of the Gerber spec.
- Open multiple layers at once in File->Open dialog.
Gerbv's homepage is on SourceForge:
There you will find a bug database, a feature request database, the CVS repo and a commit mailinglist.
To download gerbv-2.0.0, go to
and grab gerbv-2.0.0.tar.gz
To install gerbv do this:
- tar zxf gerbv-2.0.0.tar.gz
- cd gerbv-2.0.0
- make && make install
Interesting configure options are:
--help : Lists all configure options.
--disable-cairo : Use GDK only for graphics rendering.
--disable-exportpng : Disable compilation of export of PNGs.
--prefix= : Install to dir .
--with-maxfiles : Set maximal number of files (default 20).
--enable-unit-mm : Change default unit in status bar to mm from inch.
Thank you for using gerbv-2.0.0!
-- The gerbv team