Cloud Storage

Please help me decide on a free cloud storage service. MS One Drive Google Drive

or ???

Pros and Cons please all available.

I will encrypt anything I store there so no worries.

CloudUser

I like Dropbox.

lunatic fringe electronics

In 2012, Dropbox was hacked. User account information was copied. Just recently, it was discovered that the hack included users' account passwords. Not all users were affected, but I have seen estimates far exceeding 10,000,000 for the number of affected users.

--
David E. Ross
.

Donald Trump claims he is a successful businessman.
If so, how does he explain the number of his
enterprises that have gone bankrupt?
Reply to
David E. Ross

I signed up after that, so I wasn't hacked.

Yahoo had 500 million accounts hacked.

lunatic fringe electronics

Want the truth ? Let's see how that goes.

Take Romney, he bankrupted all kinds of businesses. When you see a business for sale cheap it is because they are in a declining market and they are i n a position to know it. How come you ain't bitching about him ?

You buy the business and write big salaries to you and your chosen family. You borrow it up to the hilt and then bankrupt it. Did Trump do that ? Yes. but nobody seems to bitch about Romney doing it. Well maybe that is becaus e he didn't make as much money.

Not that I like the guy but I am in the ABC club - Anyone But Clinton. I wo uld sooner vote for Charlie Manson.

And about business acumen, GW Bush ran a shitload of businesses into the gr ound, AND HE DID NOT INTEND TO. He wanted to find oil, wanted the business to succeed.

That is different than walking in and saying "Hey, they got some cool stuff here" that the bank takes later because it is a paperclip factory. Like in the movie Other People's Money, he gives a short speech about buggy whips. You can probably look it up easily. But he was right, having a larger and larger share of a shrinking market will get you nowhere.

Anyway, now that I have digressed to the point I don't even know where I am , something pertinent to the thread.

Cloud storage is great if you can share parts of it. I have had the interne t go down, hasn't anyone else ? Well I would like my computers to run if th ey are offline. I would like access to my files if I am for whatever reason offline. This have to be online shit is bullshit. I want my tunes from the top of the Colorado mountains to Death Valley. (the latter in the winter o nly of course)

What's wrong with a 2TB external HD ? Or two or three of them ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Use ThunderCloud(TM) during hurricane season...

Reply to
Robert Baer

I've got several free accounts with Box.com and am very happy with it.

It's a bit like dropbox, but gives you much more control over what you put there without insisting on auto synching - although you can do that if you wish.

Having said that, heed the warnings of others regarding security. I never put anything sensitive in cloud storage which would cause harm if it got into the public domain, and I always have backup copies on other media. Never rely on cloud storage as your primary storage medium. It is useful to be able to access your stuff from anywhere in the world, and for giving other people controlled access to it - BUT THAT IS ALL!

--
Cheers,
Roger

John Larkin explained on 10/6/2016 :

Potentially. They actually had about that many password hashes stolen,

*some* of which may have been attacked by using tables in the intervening two and a half years. Then *some* of those passwords used to compromise accounts which still had those same passwords in use.

I don't think it can be known how many actual accounts were hacked.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Arne Saknussemm

His task was to save businnesses that were in deep trouble. That's one thing bankrupcy law is for.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Dropbox automagically duplicates my files onto five different computers. If the internet goes down, the files are still on all the computers. I don't have to carry memory sticks or usb hard drives around any more.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I keep just about everything under version control with git. Online backups consist of running a script that uses "git push" to send everything to 'bare' repositories on other machines spread out all over. I have a few Qubes machines that replicate from those bare repositories, and are much more difficult to attack (especially since they're powered down unless I'm using them).

Offline backups are on DVD.

That way I always have everything, and am pretty well immune to ransomware and suchlike.

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Our total company backup is getting pretty huge. There are all sorts of on-site backups, but once a month they dump everything onto a terabyte USB drive and give it to me. We stash the backup drives in various places in California.

Tne drives are so cheap nowadays we treat them like write-once devices.

lunatic fringe electronics

Should be once a week, and two copies.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Nobody mentioned MEGA.co.nz 50GB Here's a review,

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Is that not a reincarnation of Megaupload and thus possibly subject to the same fate?

--
David E. Ross
.

Donald Trump claims he is a successful businessman.
If so, how does he explain the number of his
enterprises that have gone bankrupt?
Reply to
David E. Ross

yes I believe it is the same guy, and what happened to megaupload it could happen to any cloud based service. If the US government kick in the door an d confiscates the servers there is not much you can do

from what I understand Turkey just blocked Dropbox because there was some e mails about Erdogans son-in-law on there

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You make it sound like the government has no case against Megaupload and they were being persecuted unreasonably. What I read about it sounds like the case was pretty good even if they were a bit inept in prosecuting it.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I have used Google Drive for a couple years. It allows you to drag a file to its folder on your hard drive, then it copies it to their server. Any other computer logged into the same account is then synced to its local Google folder. I currently have 17 GB of free storage. That is plenty for some datasheets and test equipment manuals.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Start with why you want cloud storage. IMO it has two primary uses: a) cheap (additional) backup; and b) convenient syncing across devices/locations.

IMO, most important is reducing risk of data loss. So subscribe to them all. Two services --> square the probability of failure (data loss). I.e., 1 in 1,000,000 --> 1 in 1,000,000,000,000. Three services: cube the probability. Etc.

But I don't entirely rely on cloud for backup. For important stuff, keep local copies on external drives. I print a hard copy of really important stuff. Hard copy doesn't need electricity for preservation or reading.

Have a good day,

--
Best,
Wolf K