pretty good rant

PADS-Logic and PADS-PCB aren't as bad as this one sounds, but they aren't as good as they used to be, and support really sucks now.

lunatic fringe electronics

The writer previously used Altium, which comes off well compared to his new program, Mentor Graphics PADSFlow. Hah, I've been using Altium for 10 years, but I really miss in Altium the creature features that were in PCAD, my previous pcb CAD program.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

LOL, 'DesignFlaw'

Shows that product names should be choosen carefully.

Martin Riddle

I recall coming across a similar blog for Altium, but this turns up first:

Curiously, it hasn't been updated since 2010!

All considered, I would definitely recommend Altium over PADS. Based on my experience with both.

Or if you want something that's more KiCAD or Eagle level functionality, but has the ease of Altium (hah), Multisim/Ultiboard (at least, as they were, back when I was in school) aren't even that bad, and are priced at a fraction of Altium.

FWIW, Altium's PADS import tool is reasonably functional, so if you ever decided to change, your archives aren't screwed or anything.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

"John Larkin"  wrote in message

https://offlogic.wordpress.com/2009/08/12/why-does-mentor-graphics-suck-so-very-very-much/

PADS-Logic and PADS-PCB aren't as bad as this one sounds, but they
aren't as good as they used to be, and support really sucks now.
Reply to
Tim Williams