PCB Layout and simulation using Tina 7?

I purchased a low end simulation program from

(DesignSoft), and it seems to work pretty well, especially for a $30 package.

I have been doing my major electrical and electronic designs with PADS-PCB and PADS-Logic, from Mentor Graphics, but they do not offer simulation (except maybe as a multi-thousand dollar option, and they have instituted a limited licensing scheme with their new software so it becomes nonfunctional after about 5 years unless you stay on their support, which costs about $750/year.

Recently I revisited the Tina website and found they have a new version 7.x design suite which includes schematic design, simulation, PCB design, autorouting, and even a 3-D PCB viewer, for about $900. I have downloaded the demo and it seems OK, although there are some annoying problems, and it does not have the range of features I have become used to with PADS products.

I would like to know if anyone has tried this product, as I am considering purchasing it for some of my smaller designs, especially those that involve linear circuitry that lends itself to simulation. If the product will evolve into a more full-featured package, I will consider using it for major projects as well, especially if I run into problems with the PADS licensing scheme. That problem is currently being discussed on the listserver.pads.com (talk) forum.

I am also open to recommendations for other design suites. Quite a while ago I evaluated Eagle and Electronics Workbench, and I also looked at Protel. My first schematic program was Futurenet (ca.1985), which I still use occasionally for old design maintenance, and I also bought something called Project-PCB (ca.1989).

Thanks for any feedback. I'll post my results as I continue to evaluate the demo, and let you know if I purchase the full version.

A limited, but not crippled, version is available on the

website. I originally heard about the simulator at a TI seminar, where they praised its virtues for analog design.

Paul E. Schoen

Paul E. Schoen, President
P S Technology, Inc.
715 Warren Road
Cockeysville, MD 21030-2824
(410) 667-4889
www.pstech-inc.com
Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Have a look at Pulsonix:

It's very easy to use and support is excellent.

Reply to
Leon

Have a look at Pulsonix:

It's very easy to use and support is excellent.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

For simulation you cannot beat switcherCAD and its free:

For PCB layout and schemetic capture try Kicad which you cane find at:

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell