Power switch is erratic on receiver

I picked up a used Koss HH375 receiver at a Goodwill store. It's purpose is to power some speakers for my computer's sound. Although this is no high powered amplifier, it does the job, and sounds 100 times better than those cheap "amplified computer speakers".

But it has a "bug". The power switch is erratic. Sometimes I have to push it 5 or more times to get it to "latch on". (and the same to shut it off). Once and awhile, it even turns itself off, when in use. Worse yet, often when I turn it on, there is no sound. I have to push the "up/down" volume switches.

My original thought was to just never turn it off, and to put a switch on the power cord. I soon found this will not work. If I unplug it, it's OFF the next time I plug it in.

I have not yet opened it up, but plan to do so. But there must be a problem beyond dirty switch contacts, because of that volume control issue.

I should mention that this receiver was designed to be used with a remote control (which I do not have). That tells me that the switch is INSIDE the circuit, not just a power line toggle switch. And that's where I tend to get lost......

On top of that, I have not found anything as far as a schematic online.

I'm a guy who has worked on a lot of tube equipment, but this modern stuff is not my cup of tea.....

Anyone have any idea how this thing works or what to look for??? I'd like to fix it if I can, just because it has very nice sound quality. Otherwise I'd just replace it with another amp. I did not pay much for it, so it's no big deal, but I'll give it a shot, if I know a little more what I am facing!

Reply to
oldschool

I find it a bit amusing that you complain so much about the "modern stuff". Of course you don't know much about it. Did you know all about tube equipment when you started learning?

They make all levels of quality in computer speakers. You just have to listen to them or at least get some specs on them before you judge them too harshly. I have a pair of Sony's that sound nice to me. But they use an audio cable and I prefer Bluetooth. I installed an eBay module in one, but it quit working after a year or so. I need to get another and see if it will work again.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Just get some Altec-Lansing PC speakers (I did - several pairs). The ones I have are basic single drive units, the plastic cases are sturdy and they sound pretty good.

One pair was thrown in with a refurb PC - the rest came from a free recycling group.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot