Power Supply... why it browns out??

Hi everyone! Help!! I just have my power supply brown out in front of me, and I am puzzled. I hope someone can give me any idea of what I have done wrongy.

I am using dsPIC30F6010A in my PCB design and it works fine on a bench power supply. However, the power supply is too big for me to carry around for demostration, so I decided to buy a AC/DC switching mode power supply from RS.

TXL series universal input SMPSU,12V 60W RS Stock no. 466-7180 Manufacturer TRACO POWER Part no. TXL 60-12S

I connected the power-supply directly to the mains (240Vac), and wishing for a +12V output. But once I switched it on, I heard a very loud POP sound...... spark..... and smells burning....

Can anyone help me!!.. Thanks in advance!

PS.. The output terminal was open. Since I was testing the power supply,and haven't get anything connected on the output terminal.

Reply to
huitmj

Looks like you just got a bad one. Return it for a warranty exchange.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

'Brown out', has a very different meaning from this.... These supplies don't 'like' no load. They are specified for a minimum of10% load, to maintain full regulation. On a slighlty 'simpler' supply, my suspicion would be that you simply overvoltaged the output capacitors, because it couldn't cope with zero load. However I think the model involved, does have overvoltage protection on the single output, and should have shut down. Are you totally sure you wired it correctly?. The connections, reading from left to right, are:

+ve out

-ve out GND Live Neutral

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

They spec load regulation for 0%-100% in the datasheet, thus should not require a minimum load.

Good point, in a hurry such mundane jobs can go wrong. Happens to all of us.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks Roger for your reply.

So do you mean that I should make it drive with a LED, or something else to create some kind of loading for it?

Yes, I just checked the connection again and it seems to be okay.

I have opened up the power supply as well, part of it becomes dark- brown colour and I think the TR5 PCB Fuse (2A 250V) have gone...

Reply to
huitmj

sounds like a junker, return it if you can! :(

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Are you sure you connected it correctly?

You give the part number as TXL, but the datasheet in your link is for the ESP series. The terminal arrangement on those two series are different. Using the wrong datasheet may have caused you to connect the AC input to the DC output terminals.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

** Oooppppppsssssss........

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Oopps.. Yes. That's true, the link is to a wrong datasheet. I connected it up by the labels on the power supply, so I assume it is correct. Do you think it would be the inrush current causing the brown?.... umm...

I afraid if I change the fuse, it will brown again... which I am a bit scare of now..

Reply to
huitmj

Unless you've already voided the warranty, just put it back together and take it back to the store. Look confused, and say, "Can you tell me what's wrong with this?" or something like that.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise