power supply 1-wire remote sense

Another trick worth mentioning is to use a 595 with two sufficiently different tau RC integrators at the inputs. With the built-in Schmitt triggers these form monostable multivibrators and allow piggy-backing of the strobe signals on the data line. One can further steal the idea from the Dallas 1-wire chips and by adding a diode merge the VDD and the data line. By PWMing the VDD it becomes a truly one-way 1-wire digital link. Now, if the current consumption of the receiver is known, the receiver can connect (or not) a digitally controlled load, say 3x the current consumption for easy discrimination. The transmitter now sees I_load or

3xI-load and a receiver -> transmitter channel is formed with the same VDD line. You end up with a bidirectional 1-wire link using jellybean parts at the receiver end. The complexity is in the transmitter.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Yup, that's the plan for us too.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Something similar has been done in cochlear implants where low bandwidth telemetry is sent back to the external rf transmitter by modulating the load .

John

Reply to
John Walliker

John Dope stated the following in message-id <svsh05$lbh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me

posted Fri, 4 Mar 2022

08:01:09 -0000 (UTC):

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Dope's post ratio to USENET (**) has been 61.9% of its posts contributing "nothing except insults" to USENET.

** Since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Dope has posted at least 2000 articles to USENET. Of which 173 have been pure insults and 1065 have been John Dope "troll format" postings.

The Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless Troll Doe has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Mon, 20 Jun 2022 22:24:14 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t8qs2e$u6p$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me).

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that John Dope does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

aI0yujn9zAQo

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

Mouse bites too? That worked great.

Maxim trashed us by discontinuing the MAX9690 comparator, and then they started failing in the field after about a year. Some sort of oxide diffusion problem.

To be fair, they "sampled" us 3000 of the MAX9691 that we used on the adapter boards.

Even with high voltages, a 4-to-20 mA signal can be workable with a single wire (and some notion of ground). I've also had occasion to run a VCO from a follower transistor power supply, taking the frequency as my analog signal by loading the oscillator's output and observing the follower's collector current swing.

Reply to
whit3rd

Anybody except John Doe. He hasn't done it at all.

He's implicitly claiming that my words are inaccurate, but he hasn't bothered to tell us why he thinks this. In fact he's just an idiot who resents have his idiocy jeered at. Quite how my bland assertion of simple - easily verified - facts could be "inaccurate" is hard to imagine, but John Doe doesn't understand enough to realise this.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Yeah, we use that 'castellated holes' trick reasonably often for that sort of job. I learned it by examining a TMB (transfer-molded board) LED package, which uses it. (I used those TMB-packaged LEDs as the femtoamp multiplexer in my Footprints pyroelectric imagers. (If you call

96 pixels per sensor an image.) ;)

Like the Vogons, Maxim is/was "not actually evil, but bad-tempered, bureaucratic, officious, and callous." ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs