Portable/Mobile Printer

I just had to run out to a Staples to get some printing done :-(

Any of you using (and happy with) a SMALL PORTABLE printer when you're on-the-road?

Laser preferred. ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]
 Click to see the full signature

This isn't a laser but it *is* stunningly unreliable:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

UNreliable ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]
 Click to see the full signature

Stunningly so. Shortly after purchase, it refused to feed paper. I tossed mine out in disgust after fiddling with it for much too long.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Canon PIXMA IP100 is 4.4lbs Inkjet color. I have not heard of anything bad about these.

Laser might be a stretch.

Martin Riddle

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I bought a small HP laser as a back-up for a pretty much disposable price (something like $50, cheaper than a replacement cartridge), but I have doubts about it not leaking toner powder if it was shipped with the toner cartridge installed.

A couple of options- Sam's Club has inkjets for a stupid price, like $19.95. Buy it and throw it out after a few days use.

The other option (the one I use) is to put documents on a stick and print them in the hotel business center or at a client's.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

--
"it's the network..."                      "The Journey is the reward"
speff@interlog.com       Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

This hotel (Extended Stay America) has WiFi but no business center :-(

Seeing the news about DVT's, maybe it's better that I get off my ass and hoof it to Staple's ;-)

The sticks are getting ridiculously inexpensive... I bought 4GB for $9.95. ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]
 Click to see the full signature

Staples is advertising 4GB sticks for $4.95 this weekend.

Reply to
krw

Take a look at the HP portable wireless series. Some are dual supply (battery and line) and some are bluetooth wireless. I've had nothing but good luck with them, but be careful on the wireless. Some of them are pretty tricky to configure.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Jim Thompson schrieb:

Hello,

you have enough power to feed a laser printer when you're on-the-road? They need about 500 W to 800 W when heating the toner for fixation.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Hotels over on this side of the pond have electrical outlets ;-) ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]
 Click to see the full signature

You might find one of the inkjets acceptable. Can you live with A5 only? That decreases the weight and size a fair bit. But they will die young if moved around in luggage (oh and always put in in a stout plastic bag). Ink escaping is rare but disastrous inside a suitcase.

A Laser on the road is total madness. It will be a lot heavier and drive you nuts. Power consumption for the fuser means you will have to drag it into the hotel to use it. Inkjet will run off cigarette lighter.

OKI B2200 and give it away at the end of the trip to avoid paying excess baggage fees (weighs about 5kg). Strictly an LED printer.

There is a thermal printer that does pretty much what you ask for, compact and under 500g but it is very expensive for what it does.

Check cost of consumables too! (and print longevity in a hot car/strong sunlight)

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Jim Thompson schrieb:

Hello,

you used the words portable, mobile and on-the-road, so I guessed you want to use the printer inside a car without a connection to the power grid.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen