Politically Incorrect

Bullshit would be a good soil amendment. I'm afraid these have to make do in mostly clay, with compost mixed in from my compost pile.

I think it had more to do with getting rain in patches last year, instead of on a more regular basis. I mostly didn't water, either, leaving them struggling on their own.

I don't seem to have been the only one--other gardens, and even the walnut crop, failed too.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Sunlight? He lives in San Francisco. They gots fog, ain't gots no stinkin' sunlight.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 07:19:52 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Put a cage around it. Those 4 inch square heavy wire jobs.. Wire tie chicken wire to the inside of it if it isn't good enough.

Yes, it looks ugly, but does stop the deer.

You could also give them a salt lick...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 10:35:14 -0500, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno Gave us:

Found this browsing around on Amazon... Says it is for hanging in your "man cave".

I guess it is 'politically incorrect' as that is what a lot of "man cave" art seems to be these days.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

LOL-

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The attraction for me was fresh herbs and boutique showey veggies that you can get seeds for.. purple carrots - that sort of thing. High value added.

I might try it again with 50-100W of (Red+Blue?) LEDs and maybe inside.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

In article , John Larkin wrote: ...

What's your night time low temperature during the summer? Tomatos need 55 F (or above) to set fruit. Bumblebees help, too.

I typically got 6-8 pounds per plant, in five gallon buckets, here in cold damp Seattle.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Yes, I tried the bell pepper thing from seeds of a bell pepper and got a couple peppers in a few months. But I'm still making money at Doc's with tomato plants. I think I sold 18 plants at 50 cents each for a profit of $9 but I had to buy some potting mix from WalMart for $6, so I only made $3 dollars. But I made a lot of people happy with the plants. It's the idea of helping society that counts.

Bill Bowden

Typically high 50s. We live in the Alemany Gap, which is a fog tunnel between the ocean and the bay. We leave the heat on all year.

We do have lots of bees; we kept two hives ourselves, until Mo got stung and had a bad reaction. The doc said, get rid of the bees or die. Pity, we got about 120 lbs of wonderful honey per year.

We go to the farmers' market. They truck the stuff in from warmer spots inland.

lunatic fringe electronics

I don't know if honeybees help. Native American Bumblebees apparently co-evolved with something like tomatos and have a unique behavior of landing on the tomato flower and "humming" which brings out the pollen or something like that. It increases fruit set so much that they use them in the big Canadian tomato greenhouse industry.

Yea, I hear the Sacramento River Delta is where our ketchup comes from.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

I've had great bunches of peppers before, but now that you mention it, this time I used seeds taken from grocery-store produce. Previously I bought seeds.

I also tortured the plants this time, leaving them in pots too small too long, letting them wilt over and over, and general neglect. Next year (day after tomorrow) I'll do better. This year I just had other things on my mind.

I have a magic thumb. Houseplants given to me never die, but never grow up.

Merry & Happy ... (& a gentle 'shot' in the arm for Doc)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I seem to have a black thumb, but my son, Aaron (the software guru), bought a few acres of farmland near here (on Thompson Road, no less :-), and grows everything successfully... including corn, bell peppers, chili peppers, beans and chickens and goats ;-) ...Jim Thompson

He'll be a good guy to know when that climageddon tsunami strikes Phoenix.

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Not a likely occurrence. I moved here straight from MIT graduation

53+ years ago, and I've experienced all that Mother Nature has to offer... and it's repetitive ;-)

Son Aaron, with grandson Killian as passenger, was rear-ended by a drunk... totaled Aaron's Tundra, but no serious injuries... I'll post photos tomorrow. ...Jim Thompson

But it'll be different this time.

I was just about t-Boned last weekend. Some moron ran a red light and did a 4-wheel twisting skid through the intersection. It's a good thing I was driving the Mustang. It had enough power to accelerate out of harms way. My wife was surprised I stepped on the gas. She said she would have never thought fast enough. I was already in the intersection and had a clear path in front (oncoming traffic all turning left) when I heard the squeal. There was no going back and stopping certainly wasn't a good idea.

Reply to
krw

--
Unless you grow your own tomatoes and set the criteria for your crop,
how would you know what's sensible and what isn't ?