TRIAC voltage drop

I've just measured that the voltage drop on a BTA12 triac is almost constant 0.8V in a wide range of voltages (direct current, 12 ohm load, 5..30V). Why this 'weird' value, which is neither 0.65 nor 2x0.65V of a normal silicon transistor? 0.65V + 0.15V of VCE_sat?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Makes sense, no? I'd expect some change over a 6:1 current range, though.

Reply to
krw

0.84V at 30V

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

** Your second guess is correct.

The voltage drop is one B-E junction plus one C-E in full saturation.

See page 4.

At currents up to about 20amps, voltage drop reduces as the chip heats due to the negative tempco of one B-E diode of about -2mV per C.

In your test, chip temp rises with current making the drop look nearly constant.

Try a 6amp diode instead of the triac and what you get.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison
[...]

Thank you.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

look there.

You can see why, its a transistor version of a thysistor.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook