Plug and play transistors all the same?

I have noticed I can chose between NPN and PNP transistors for designs. But there are little and big Plug And Play transistors, are those interchangeable? I am designing an robotic man, so I need to know. Your clever help will be much appreciated. Anna C.

Reply to
Anna Curver

Some are. Most aren't.

Start here:

Further questions? Please subscribe to: sci.electronics.basics

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yes, the big one last for years, but the small one last for seconds.

Reply to
linnix

What the _heck_ do you mean by "plug and play transistor"? Until you get to the edges of "transistor space" there's a lot of overlap between any one transistor and many other similar ones -- but the interchange certainly needs to take more into account than "small" and "large".

My clever help is to suggest that you learn a bit more about transistors, or that you tell us what the transistor is going to _do_: switch? amplify? What voltage? What current?

If you don't know _anything_ about designing with transistors, you need to learn a bit.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

He means Plug aNd Play (PNP) transistors vs. Non Plug aNd (NPN) one. It's doable as a hybrid with auto voltage and gain sensings. etc. Of course, it won't be under a bug each.

Reply to
linnix

Either I'm the butt of a joke, here, or someone is profoundly naive about transistors...

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Sorry, under a buck each.

Yes, it's kind of a joke. But a universal transistor is also doable, given enough hardware and software behind the three pins. Three legged spice emulator would be helpful in getting the bugs out of a circuit.

Reply to
linnix

smells a bit like troll

Reply to