Piston Attenuator?

I'm seeking tutorial and /or building instructions for a piston attenuator which is a short waveguide operating well below cut-off and is capable of an easily calibrated (by mechanical vernier) attenuation factor.

AIUI, these were commonly used in valved signal generators. Any info anywhere?

Reply to
Somebody

Somebody Inscribed thus:

Some of the "Marconi" sig gens used those attenuators.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Answering my own question ...

Somebody

Years ago we used a microwave attenuator for changing the coupling into a cavity. It was a piece of waveguide that was below cut-off. There was a Teflon slug that could be moved within the waveguide to change the coupling. With the Teflon fully inserted the waveguide was above cut-off. One end of the slug was tapered. I assume to reduce reflections.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold