Audio Attenuator

Hi guys,

I have an old vintage HP audio osciallator which I want to use for some experimentation to get more practice in electronics. Its output is continually variable between 4 and 20 volts. Problem is, for some experiments I have in mind, I need it to output only between 1mV and

10mV. The oscailator's output impedance is 600 ohms it states. Can anyone suggest a simple passive attenuator I could build from easily available components which would give me this much lower output please? thanks!
Reply to
Chris M. White

A bit more detail would be useful.

However, something like a resistive voltage divider will probably be a good place to start.

10k GEN 0----RRRRR----*----0 OUT | R R 10 ohms R | | GND

To get down to 1 mV, you can hang a pot on the output. Figuring out just how to do that would be a step forward.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

a simple resistive divider will give a fixed ratio reduction in amplitude, unfortunately that won't cover the whole 10:1 range you want as your input only has 5:1 adjustment.

You could use a potentiometer to make an adjustable attenuator and get a variable reduction that way.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

I'm happy to oblige. Anything specific?

What's the problem in that? Seems simple enough to my simple mind!

Reply to
Chris M. White

What's the load? Any DC involved?

Well, if you understand pots, you understand voltage dividers already.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

** What old HP have you got?

Sure it has not been modified to get only 4-20V out ? Seems weird otherwise.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

No DC and very high impedance load (> 1M ohm)

My main concern was not to draw too much from the already quite high impedance (600 ohms) of the source generator. Did you allow for that in the values you came up with?

Reply to
Chris M. White