PING: Kevin Aylward, Electric Guitars

PING: Kevin Aylward, Electric Guitars...

I have an 11-year-old grandson, the ice hockey player no less, who has expressed an interest in electric guitars.

What would you recommend as a "starter" guitar set (at reasonable expense)?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Start with an accoustic just in case it's a passing fad....

TTman

or to make it a passing fad?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I have to agree. Jim, do your grandson a favor. Try to make sure he does not become a musician. Very difficult "career" choice if your outlook is to keep food on the table, and a roof overhead.

Reply to
mpm

Methinks he's going to be a professional ice hockey player... he's _phenomenal_ for 11-years-old ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The entry-level cost is similar, but you can play an acoustic in the park with friends. The resale value might be better also.

It's great to learn music. Just get a career as well. However, as they say...

"Artists will happen, even in the best-run families"

and

Q: What do you call a musician who hasn't got a girlfriend? A: Homeless!

Reply to
Clifford Heath

See if you can get him interested in piano.. Much more useful skill.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

Hi, guitarist for ~25 years here, I started about the same age and never stopped.

Recommendation for reasonably-priced starter acoustic, Yamaha, $119:

Recommendation for reasonably-priced electric + amp:

Epiphone SG Special, $169:

Line 6 15 watt practice amp with effects and, most importantly, a headphone jack, $99:

Reply to
bitrex

The most important thing to have when starting out in guitar (or any instrument, really) is a solid, professional teacher who makes sure the student doesn't get into bad habits. Repetitive strain injury is a real risk for stringed instrument players who aren't taught proper picking and grip technique.

Also a teacher who knows how to keep the student motivated by presenting skill-level appropriate exercises to work on can mean the difference between something that's just a fad and something they stick with

Reply to
bitrex

Don't worry about the resale value much, you can buy good quality instruments for a beginner nowadays for under $200.

The South Korean or Mexican made stuff is just fine.

Reply to
bitrex

Not sure that's true. I've never seen a piano by a campfire. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I recommend a low-end Fender called a Squire. Similar to a Stratocaster but much less cost. Even no name copies of differnent guitars are out there. I woulkd never buy any guitar on-line. Better to go into a music store and find one that feels easy to finger. Small practice amps are available, too.

Something I tell to anyone who wants to learn any sort of instrument is to first learn a little piano. It's easier to visualize chord and scale structure if you learn it first.

Reply to
Kevin Glover

Reading the subject line I thought you were contemplating getting into rock music yourself :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The last time I played in a band (~1960), it was clarinet and Dixieland. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Some valid points in this thread about an acoustic guitar, however, I never really got into guitar until I got my first electric about 30 years ago. Nowadays, camping and around the house even I play my acoustics a lot more. ..but for starting out, I can see the appeal of going straight to the elect ric. The electrics are a bit easier on untrained fingers, and might have a bit more 'cool' factor.

A Squire Strat and the Epiphone SG that bitrex recommended are both solid c hoices for a beginner. My opinion is that the Squire will be slightly chea per and the Epiphone will be a bit nicer overall. I have both here...well, the SG is a genuine Gibson, but I do have an Epiphone Les Paul. It can al ways be hit and miss, but the setup quality coming out of the Epiphone shop has been impressive lately (genuine Gibson...not so much). Amazing what y ou can get for $200.

For practice amps...I don't know. Last time I used one was probably mid 19

90s, generic little Peavy. I bet any of the modern name brand ones would b e just fine.
Reply to
DemonicTubes

That's easy these days, just bluetooth this to the virtual piano software running on your tablet PC. You can pick from a wide variety of real pianos with every note sampled with 128 velocity layers in 24 bit 96kHz stereo; baby grands, uprights, wurlitzers, Rhodes, Hammond organ, whatever you like.

Reply to
bitrex

There's less recording studio work available. You've been replaced by the computer:

Reply to
bitrex

If you're going to do that, just play MP3s. Doesn't get the girls, though.

Reply to
krw

+1 It's the best start to learn the basics for anyone. Then they can go onto any instrument that they want with a good solid music background. Also +1 on a good teacher, it's so hard to unlearn bad habits or poor technique.
Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

I bought an Epiphone SG little while back for my brother. Its plays really well, for the price.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward