A better mic?

My son plays the tenor sax. I came home and he played me this tune, where he recorded the bass line on his phone and played it back over the stereo. Then played the lead live. The bass line was 'buzzy' (clipping?) and I was thinking he needed a better mic for his phone. (typ. 3.5 mm jack) Any recommendations? (I know little of sound stuff.) An Xmas present, say ~$50. (~ = $5 to $100)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Searching on amazon for 'phone microphone' I get a lot of choices.

(I cut down the link.)

GH

Reply to
George Herold

It's unlikely the fault of the mike. More likely the phone speaker. Can you get the audio file to a computer with better speakers?

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

After recording the phone was plugged into the Aux jack on the stereo, played on klipsch (sp) speakers. (for whatever it matters.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It could be he needs to play more with the gain levels on phone and stereo amp.

GH

Reply to
George Herold

Live instruments are loud. Most likely you need more amp power.

Buddy of mine has this problem with drums.

Reply to
jurb6006

Maybe it's too loud. Try recording from farther away, to avoid saturating the Mic+ADC. maybe turn down the input vlume. will help with adc saturation but not microphone limits. You can check on an audio software that shows the waveform(time domain). clipping is easy to spot.

Reply to
Johann Klammer

A $1 mic should be good enough for a phone. The probnlem is almost certainly with phone settings.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Den fredag den 1. december 2017 kl. 01.17.39 UTC+1 skrev George Herold:

:)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote on 12/1/2017 2:13 PM:

This guy does a good video. Very funny.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Grin, thanks Lasse.. that guy's a hoot.

GH