Re: VSWR doesn't matter?

In message , billcalley writes

We are all told that VSWR doesn't matter when using low loss >transmission lines, since the RF energy will travel from the >transmitter up to the mismatched antenna, where a certain amount of >this RF energy will reflect back towards the transmitter; after which >the RF will then reflect back up to the antenna -- where the energy is >eventually radiated after bouncing back and forth between the >transmitter and antenna. I understand the concept, but what I don't >quite understand is why the reflected RF energy isn't simply absorbed >by the 50 ohm output of the transmitter after the first reflection? >For the RF to bounce back and forth, wouldn't the transmitter's >impedance have to be very, very high (or low) when the reflected RF >energy hit its output stages? I know I'm missing something vital >here...

It matters when it changes suddenly, like mine did recently on my 70MHz beam, when one of the elements came off in a gale.

Brian GM4DIJ

--
Brian Howie
Reply to