Phase Locked Loop Phase Shift

Hi All,

I'm trying to design a PLL frequency multiplier which will track a

50Hz +- 1Hz sinusoidal signal and generate a clock at a rate of 12.8Khz nominal, synchronised to that signal. (*256 multiplication)

I've got an LM565 phase locked loop and have built a circuit which has a divide by 256 counter in the feedback loop, similar to the reference design on page 7 of the datasheet

LM565.pdf) albeit with different component values and a lead lag filter .

This circuit works to a point - I've succesfully locked onto the input signal and am generating a 12.8khz clock which is synchronised to the input waveform.

However, as I vary the input frequency between 49 and 51hz, there is a change in phase between the output and the input which can be clearly seen by comparing pins 2 (input) and 5 (divided signal - input to the phase detector.)

Someone has said that this is because the LM565 has a type one phase detector (?) and hence there will always be a phase error which is dependent on input frequency - is that correct?

For reference, the parameters of the loop are as follows....

Free running frequency - 12.8khz (hand tuned) Loop Gain 86016 (from datasheet) Natural Frequency 864hz Damping factor 1.39 T1 cutoff frequency - 8.45 T2 cutoff frequency - 312.5

If anyone could offer any advice, then I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
JimFraser100

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote: (snip)

The DC control voltage sent to the voltage controlled oscillator is proportional to the phase error, so changing the oscillator frequency requires a change in the phase error. Add an integrator in that control loop and the phase error will be fixed over the frequency range. Or switch to a CD4046 type PLL chip that has a form of integrator included as a second choice of phase detector and get a zero phase error between the reference and the divider output.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

It isn't the multiplying phase detector that's at fault, it's low loop gain. In order for the VCO to go from 49 to 51 Hz, its control voltage has to move a little bit:

delta V = delta f/(df_vco/dV)

If there isn't much gain between the phase detector and the VCO, the phase shift has to change in order to generate that delta V. This is true regardless of what kind of phase detector you're using.

If you put an op amp between the phase detector and VCO--with an appropriate lead/lag network so the loop doesn't become unstable--you can get rid of the phase error by a factor of about a million.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Check that one out, it's designed to provide minimum pulse width a the detector to prevent dead band problems witch is part of your phase shift issue.

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

Which of its detectors are you refering to there?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

I am talking about phase detector II, the one that goes open circuit when zero phase error is reached, and if used to drive a filter that has no resistor across it (typically a resistor in series with a capacitor or a series RC in parallel with another capacitor), will hold its voltage with no further error signal.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to