Phantom power IC suggestions (8-40VDC in, 2-8V out )?

Been keeping an eye out and playing with simple discrete circuits for quite a while now, without much success.

Has anyone come across a low power / low noise / high efficiency SMPS method to convert 8-40VDC to 2-8V at 100mW, say for a bunch of codecs and DSP stuff? All specs somewhat optimistic - all compromises entertained. The 40V max would be plenty for me, as 100mW would load down a standard 48V/6k8 phantom power source to below 40V anyway (after the obligatory output buffer transistors).

I first assumed that for the high ratio I'd need a transformer or tapped choke, but now I'm leaning more towards larger magnetics, lower PWM frequency (eg 96kHz nominal, to reduce any residual beats with audio codecs to near-DC), wider range and more efficient drive. Maybe use cheap ISDN or LAN magnetics?

All thoughts appreciated.

Reply to
tony

Hello Tony,

A chip with 40V in that comes to mind: The old MC34063, very inexpensive but won't push past 100kHz. You can't go above 40V.

National has a barrage of options, such as the LM5020. Goes much beyond

40V. It was designed for 42V automotive systems.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to