PCB layout with diff pairs

With a 50 ohm output load, you can trim Id around 35 mA or so and sweep right through 50 ohms. I have a graph somewhere, based on low-level TDR measurement. ERA-type parts can also be tuned with Id, but more around 30 ohms.

It does suffer a little from wirebond inductance and gbw rolloff towards the high end, but a little RC to ground helps that a lot.

John

It's a very low noise SiGe part, but a bit fragile as regards input overloads and esd. I learned that using them as amps for 2D delay-line readouts behind microchannel plates.

pulse...pulse.......pulse.....BANG....... pulse...

John

Thing is, a whole lot of folks won't need the layout part.

I just got a response from Kovac re AutoTrax, saying that it does support hierarchies by using subsystems, whatever that means. One can download the SW and test drive it for a while. So I'll do that. I remember that AutoTrax had a really good reputation back in the DOS days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I think a lot of hobbyists do, although they're probably doing to be OK with the more pin-count-limited (cheaper) PCB packages too.

Cool, please let us know what you think of it.

This here, right? -->

-- Certainly inexpensive enough! But why do so many screenshots of schematic capture/PCB program still use huge DIPs, PLCCs, 1/4W through-hole resistors, etc. as was typically used a couple decades ago now? :-) (E.g.,
A bunch of fine-pitch parts, BGAs, etc. would be more impressive.

---Joel

P.S. -- Next time you see an LDO misbehaving, here's a book you can point the designers to:

Joel Koltner

Eagle would be good for them. Pin-count limits are IMHO stupid. What Eagle does is limit the layout size and restrict to two layers.

I will.

Maybe he likes retro. Z80, SN7401 and uA741 are certainly blasts from the past. But I guess he isn't interested in marketing fluff, like other EDA vendors who ramble on "With our socks you can fly all the way to the moon" and then do not even list prices.

I usually point my clients away from LDO :-)

If you really need an LDO it may be better to go straight to a switcher.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

PC,

ight try

Contact them for a quotation.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Caveat: This is not the same product, nor the same people as the DOS Autotrax.

DOS Autotrax was released to the public domain, along with EasyTrax, the less deluxe version. They're both now free.

I used the latter and loved its speed and point-to-point "autorouter". Good stuff.

Alas, I couldn't get either to run on modern Bill Gates computers.

Hmmm, Wikipedia says they should...

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Oh, thanks, didn't know that.

What happens? So far I could get all my DOS-SW to run. Some was compiled with a Borland Compiler that had a bug but there is a routine to fix the runtime error this causes. No idea about Vista since I do not use that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I don't remember exactly. Worked fine under Win 3.1. Under XP I think a DOS box opens up and flashes something subliminally quickly, then closes before you can read it.

I tried mightily at the time to fix it, but I've since switched to Sprint-Layout 5.0 for circuit boards.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

I took a look at their sPlan. Seems they do not offer a sheet hierarchy either. Why do so many software houses miss that?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Altium Designer is doing that well. It equalizes the length of both conductors interactively. You can even define a set of say 4 differential pairs to be within eg. 10mil, and it does that while the

8 condutors are routed interactively around corners.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

yeah, by definition, if you have to ask it MUST be too expensive :)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

y PC,

might try