PC PSU driving relay

I am using the +12VDC from a PC PSU to switch mains using a relay ie when the PC turns on mains power gets supplied to some amplifiers.

Do I need diode protection across the relay coil for when the PC PSU switches off, or do such PSUs have such protection built in?

--
Dirk

Full Spectrum Praxis : ZERO STATE : http://zerostate.net
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

If the relay coil is connected directly to the 12 volt supply, you don't need any other parts. There will be no flyback voltage.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"John Larkin"

** So this Dirk dude imagines he is an engineer ??

ROTFL !!

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The PC powersupply has a bridge rectifier and some large capacitors on the 12V output, if the capacitors don't suffice to provide a slow enough voltage drop the rectifier will clamp the flyback peak voltage to somthing smaller than -1V

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Strangely enough, this is the first time I have ever used a mechanical relay.

--
Dirk

Full Spectrum Praxis : ZERO STATE : http://zerostate.net
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

** That supposed to be some kind of excuse ?

It ain't.

Reply to
Phil Allison

Based on your past record I assume your excuse is mental illness