PALM vs FPGA

I have a friend that is designing a system, he used to have PIC, but he now moved to FPGA, I tell him he should be using a PALM instead, in my view a PALM has many advantages over the FPGA, but he just won't listen.

so the matter came down to a simple point, which is conectivity. he said that FPGA has better conectivity.

so I ask the group: how good is the PALM conectivity, for instance, if I was to connect a PALM with an electronic circuit, and send/recieve data from it, which port (serial/parallel. does the palm even has this stuff?) should I be using?

Reply to
fel

What the hell is a "PALM"?

Are you thinking maybe "PAL" (which is the generic term for any programmable array logic)? or "PALASM" (which is software)?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

right.

this one:

fel

A Palm PDA is a hand-held computing device - a complete, self-contained device - a commercial product sold to consumers.

An FPGA is a programmable integrated circuit that a designer will program (or better, configure) for a specific application, and install on a printed circuit board with other components, to make a complete usable unit.

A Palm PDA is in no way a suitable substitute for an FPGA (or vice versa). The Palm PDA likely includes a few FPGAs or similar devices.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

PALM = OS, FPGA = Processor.