Overloaded terms

Ironic, since the point I was making was that most words have multiple meanings that are dis-ambiguated by context - which is about as un-didactic as you can get, though I framed it as a didactic statement - but purely for comic effect.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

second.)

Annealing. Means grossly different things in different disciplines, unfortunately there is getting to be an uncomfortable amount crossover between botany, robotics, metallurgy, biophysics, simulation programming, and probably others.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

throws

Those are much more Paul Allen's contribution to society, than Bills. PA is a totally amoral snake oil salesman.

Reply to
josephkk

sure that DOS was a whole lot reliable than it's competitors (notably CP/M), and got it a large enough market share that he could play the usual monopolist tricks.

I am not so thrilled with scripting and CLI. If i found i was using a CLI program enough i would write a tcl/tk wrapper around it.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

And i'll up your anti by adding its use in transportation (flow) and soil mechanics / geotechnical engineering.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

The

nd

s.

I have copies of the console and graphics compilers, but I've never used 'em--I haven't done much programming since I got 'em.

I wrote a mechanical simulator for a roller screw design, but that was in QuickBasic.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

I can certainly think of a few. I saw a psychological study where a random group was put in a situation where they had to organize themselves to face a crisis. They invariably chose the best liars as leaders, as tested separately prior to the experiment. Wonky-types wound up as advisers, whose input was selectively employed by the liars, who in turn took credit, mostly.

--
Cheers,
James

May I add "image"? The word presumably means "likeness". According to the dictionary, it is from latin "imago", imitation, copy; a representation, a thing VERY MUCH LIKE another. So, on that basis, the computer industry has a bunch of LIARS; they produce software that does _something_ to a source (usually a hard drive,but could be a selected set of files) and makes a smaller-sized set _representing_ the original, and slaps the FALSE label of "image" to that result. "ISO" is used as an extension for such files, and the FALSE TERM "image" is applied.

Reply to
Robert Baer