Other new kinds of parts--mezzanine packaging for fun and profit

Apropos of the '5 GHz beads' and 'new kinds of parts' threads, I'm considering doing new small parts of our own, based on magic GHz transistors, but house-trained enough to use in normal boards (with op amps and so on).

Specifically, it looks like a win to make mezzanine-packaged SiGe BJTs with beads, on little crenelated boards. They'd be something like TMB-package LEDs, but without the plastic overmold.

I was playing around in LTspice, using the Infineon and Murata models for the BFP640 and the GHz beads that include the package parasitics, it seems that the main obstacle to getting good stability at high collector current is the pad capacitance right at the transistor.

With pad capacitances below 0.1 pF or so, the beads make them nice and stable at all relevant collector currents, but at 0.5 pF, you have to stay below 3 mA or thereabouts. Series inductance doesn't matter much for stability, or for performance at < 1 GHz, where we mostly live.

So, we're getting some boards made with a whole bunch of 5-mm squares, each containing a fast transistor and two or three of these magic beads.

Dunno yet how we'll get them apart--probably routing and snap tabs, or else V-grooving. And then there's the question of how to use them in production. We'll see!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We make a few little boards with the EPC GaN fets on-board, so we can glob-top them and replace the baby board if anything fails.

I remember. Do you pick-and-place those automatically?

(The glob will increase the pad capacitance a bit.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, in a panel. Then we test with the pogo fixture and mark the ones that pass, then chop them up.

This is pretty low-impedance, high current stuff.

But after they’re tested and diced, do you p&p them onto another board?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I think they are hand soldered, but I'm not sure about that.

They are a nuisance to desolder. We have a Metcal tip that is sort of a pair of giant tweezers, which helps. The people downstairs in production do magic with things like this.

Once they are tested and globbed and installed on a motherboard, they are pretty reliable. Now that we've worked the bugs out of the process, the yield is almost 100%. We've built about 1400 so far.

The T577 is an output pin driver, with totem-pole GaN fets, and we use it as a component in several products.