OT: XP SP3 setup error

..that is what the damn window says with the following incomplete and useless "Access is denied" message. Access to what? Where? Why? --- ZERO info. POS. This happens almost exactly half the way thru the process as seen by the progress bar. What is more irritating that all of the work that had been done is then UNDONE!

How in the #$&@#)^%!%^# can this be fixed?

Reply to
Robert Baer

First guess: Processor brand

Hark! Is that the sound of Linux advocates clearing their throats?

Reply to
JeffM

Usually it is a issue withe file system. I've had that problem on a "bad" cd. Used a different cd and it worked.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Paint yourself blue and dance naked around a bonfire? Likely to be as good as other suggestions. ;-)

Seriously, MS has its usual knowledge base article

where they point out that the service pack failure is *your* fault.

Although I've successfully installed SP3 on three machines, it fails with the error you're seeing on an older laptop. Solutions 1 & 2 from the KB article were no help; I haven't tried the third yet.

Interestingly, the three that took the update without problems all had some flavor of Intel processor and all accepted the SP with the machine's usual firewall/anti-virus/anti-whatever running. The laptop, an Athlon, errors-out even with ZA shutdown. Hmmm.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

From install (over 2 years ago) I never allowed XP to update. Since then have not picked up any crud, or experienced any of the problems that seem rife with XP. (touch wood!).

Reply to
john jardine

Yep. I'll second that.

My laptop with SP2 has never been updated and it runs flawlessly.

My SP2 desktop had updates enabled and it became more unstable as time went on. Eventually, it wouldn't run more than a couple of hours without some serious type of error occuring. I reloaded its original XP-SP2, updates are now OFF, and it runs perfectly. The only thing that I update is IE to kill any security issues.

As Henry Higgins once said, "I shall never let an SP3 in my life!"

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

I have two PC's and a Mac that have XP and all the updates, and have never had a problem. With what is XP rife?

Reply to
Don Bowey

Neither reference given has anything relevant.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Interesting! Will see what CPU the DELL machine has.

Reply to
Robert Baer

JeffM kirjoitti:

Actually, WINE is quite amazing (

).

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
M.Kiviranta

So..i should use a different SP4 CD?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Seems that if you used the same CD, then the CD is OK and the problem CANNOT be the user's fault.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Copy the CD to memory stick and install from that? I do pretty much everything from those these days.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Well, i remembered wrong. The "update" was from the net and was not possible util some kind of fix (NOT from M$) was applied. I think that something had to be "unrolled" and/or a registry tweek; been too long. Anyway, after the fix the install worked perfectly.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes. Many Windows users are driven to drink.

;-)

Windows tip #248: add BUGS=OFF to your registry.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.