Re: XP SP3

Yes SP3 is safe, its just a rollup of all the updates, nothing really new but the delivery. If you have been updating or running autoupdate, then SP3 is not required. SP3 on a new install of XP saves quite a bit of update time.

I would set your screen saver to require a password, that will keep it logged off.

Martin Riddle

message

the delivery.

on a new install of XP saves quite a bit of

off.

Yep, just discovered that ;-)

...Jim Thompson

  A simulation, struggling to converge, is telling you something
    Maybe your idea of a ring of current mirrors is flawed ?:-)

Ken

I've installed XP SP3 on perhaps 50 random machines. The only problems I've seen are on machines with Norton Anti-Virus or Norton

360 installed. I didn't bother trying to fix Norton. I rolled back XP SP3 to the previous state, uninstalled Norton, Installed Avast or AVG, installed XP SP3, and lived happily ever after. I did not need Symantec's SymRegFix.exe.

MS also has a hot-fix designed to resolve the problem before XP SP3 is installed. I'm too lazy to lookup the URL.

Also: "Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3..."

Various other security products also cause problems with installing XP SP3. In most cases, I see a warning and/or abort in the middle of the install.

Yep. That's where XP SP3 installs both the Intel and AMD CPU drivers on one specific ASUS(?) motherboard. I've never seen the problem.

That's only a problem if you must use IE6 instead of IE7. Unfortunately, that's a real problem as some ancient versions of Quickbooks demand IE6. Intuit has work arounds for the old (2004??) software, but many users don't want to go through the hassle and insist on using IE6.

XP SP3 is fairly safe.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Anybody else's virus scanner pop up when going to that URL? I get:

Virus or unwanted program 'HTML/Rce.Gen [virus]' detected in file 'C:\\Documents and Settings\\anon\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\s820fi1o.default\\Cache\\1CF2BAEAd01. Action performed: Deny access

Reply to
JW

Not mine.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

same here, with avira

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

JW wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I jst get a msg that a pop-up was blocked. MSIE 6+, XP SP2 with no updates.

HTH

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Works fine for me, both with firefox and konqueror. ;-) (Slack 11.0 + KDE 3.something)

Of course, since I have Linux, I'm immune to viruses. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

how do you know?

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

There are plenty of spyware programs that pretend to find a virus and offer to fix it for you if you send them money. The vague description sounds like "AntiVirus 2008 XP":

etc... There's even a You Tube video on how to remove it.

Also, I think the MS Malicious Malware Removal Tool works. Go to:

and run it online.

No problems looking at the ComputerWorld page with Firefox 3.0, or IE6 with Avast 4.8 auntie-virus.

See:

Note the list of Linux viruses and worms. Of course, most of them were probably written by anti-virus companies in order to promote the "need" for their software.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

No really? DO tell! :)

"

Reply to
Jamie

Tell what? It's a conspiracy theory. And, like all good conspiracy theories, it can't be proven or disproven. My guess(tm) is that the anti-virus vendors have the most to gain from a Linux virus, and therefore will at least inspire someone to write one, if not write one themselves. (i.e. follow the money).

For example:

"The claim was that since a "Linux virus" existed, Linux users should buy antivirus software. Linux users generally do not use antivirus software."

The long list of Linux viruses indicate that at least someone is trying to write one.

Despite numerous hoaxes, it's also possibly the same with cell phone viruses:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann