OT: writing CDs in DOS

In pure, true DOS (eg: DOS 3.3, DOS 5.0 or DOS 6.22) is there a way to copy files from the HD to a (writeable) CD? Would that CD need to be "formatted"?

Reply to
Robert Baer

You would need a program resident in memory to run the burner, and this would be something provided by the burner manufacturer. My guess would be no.

I had a hell of a time finding a cardbus card that had a dos "driver" so I could run dos from my notebook. I couldn't get mscdex. to run on the notebook, and running a burner would even be harder.

What are you trying to accomplish. If it is a matter of running dos then burning a CD, you could dual boot with dos and another OS to handle the burning (windows or linux).

Reply to
miso

is there a way

Or, if you have USB, you could copy the whole thing to a flash drive, and then take it to some other PC to burn the CD. Or, maybe try connecting the DOS machine to your LAN (I know, major headache), and then copy the files that way. -mpm

Reply to
mpm

Why fart around with DOS? If your box has a CD Reader *and* a CD Burner, boot to a Linux "Live CD".

If you're using CD-RW: Yes. Otherwise: No.

Is there some reason you aren't using **a thumbdrive** (which won't truncate your extra-long filenames)?

*-based-on-*-*-*-1988-standard+64.unicode.characters+ISO.9660.Restrictions+Sony+ISO.9660.problems.*.*.addressed.by.this.specification+up.to.128.bytes+Philips+System-Use-*+ISO.9660.Ambiguities+Rock.Ridge#recording

Reply to
JeffM

I have an old computer and runs only DOS for extreme reliability. Other than replacing the computer on rare occasion, the system has been in use in a retail environment since 1985. Competitors use WinDoze programs that cost a lot more, do not have a number of features (programs) needed to efficently run store operations, and their WonDoze programs are constantly giving them problems. Backup is done via GhostPE to a second hard drive on a regular basis; the hard drive / carrier combo is unplugged from the computer and put in a fire-proof safe as the data is vital to the business and BATF recommends backups to be in a safe place. The reason for copying to a CD, is that a CD can be sent to the programmer on a semi-regular basis, so that any requested program changes may be tested on relatively current, real data set.

Reply to
Robert Baer

There are DOS USB drivers? A USB "stick" would work just as well as a CD.

Reply to
Robert Baer

*-based-on-*-*-*-1988-standard+64.unicode.characters+ISO.9660.Restrictions+Sony+ISO.9660.problems.*.*.addressed.by.this.specification+up.to.128.bytes+Philips+System-Use-*+ISO.9660.Ambiguities+Rock.Ridge#recording Please be so kind as to read one of my previous responses. DOS is necessary for *RELIABLITY*. The programs will not run in Linux.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, there are DOS USB drivers. Even easier, if a computer can boot from a USB device, then the BIOS already has the needed code for USB storage, which covers things like USB hard disks and memory sticks. Then, in the best case, all you need to do is plug in the stick at boot time and it'll show up as a hard disk in DOS. DOS doesn't have hot plugging, so forget that.

Without USB, you can use a Compact Flash card. In one of the modes they look like normal IDE hard drives, you just need an adapter for the connector.

As for writing CDs in DOS, the multi-OS tool cdrecord (or cdrtools as it's now called) has a DOS version too. There seem to be DOS drivers for ATAPI and USB drives to go with it. I've never tried it in DOS, but it looks like a possibility.

Finally, LAN support should be possible in DOS too, but that I know the least about.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

Robert Baer wrote in news:P6mdnRNaq6xQqjzVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

you might try this;

found with a search for "dos cd write"

me

*-based-on-*-*-*-1988-standard+64.unicode.characters+ISO.9660.Restrictions+Sony+ISO.9660.problems.*.*.addressed.by.this.specification+up.to.128.bytes+Philips+System-Use-*+ISO.9660.Ambiguities+Rock.Ridge#recording

You may be able to find some older SCSI CD ROM drivers. ISTR some of the Adaptec ones could be persuaded to do this in native DOS with a bit of effort.

You may have to work hard to find all the necessary bits now.

DOS support for writing CDs was never very common and was typically SCSI based in the early days. Try looking on Simtel archives you never know what legacy stuff is still archived there. eg

Try it at your own peril.

Regards, Martin Brown

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Martin Brown

I've noticed that nobody has said "you need Linux" yet so I will jump in here with just such a comment.

With a little bit of work, I have made "dosemu" work very nicely on Puppy-4. This gives my a few advantages over a pure DOS situation:

dosemu will let you map Keyspan USB to serial converters to be the COM ports under DOS. You old DOS programs that expect real hardware can't tell.

Many laptops made today don't have VGA/EGA displays but some newer type of chip set. The Borland BGI graphics programs can't tell that they are working though a fake EGA display and run very nicely.

More modern disk formats and CDs etc can all be used though dosemu.

Reply to
MooseFET

There are USB and Firewire DOS drivers. I have this working in my work machine. You will also need Iomega's guest.exe program to attach a drive letter to the memory stick. Running USB or Firewire from DOS has variable results, depending on the system and driver set. The memory stick needs to be connected before you boot. When you remove the memory stick, you need to flush the cache if you're using smartdrv and also make sure the stick is done writing.

I think it's easier to do a network connection than set up USB drivers and deal with the idiosyncrasies of the USB drivers.

-- Mark

Reply to
qrk

There are USB drivers for all sorts of things that folks think aren't supported. Look at the bottom of this page:

*-*-*-was-intended-*-*-*-*+*.*.*.*.*.*.PNP.IDs.for.*.more.devices+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-already-recognized-*-*-*+previously.attempted+Disclaimers+*-only-driver-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-ID-numbers+*.looked.around.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*+sometimes+slower+Windows.NT.4+*-*-*-for-DOS+*-*-*-worked-perfectly&strip=1

Reply to
JeffM

LAN is definitely out, as none of the computers support that on the MB. Seems that USB is the best choice. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Newsgroups

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

*-based-on-*-*-*-1988-standard+64.unicode.characters+ISO.9660.Restrictions+Sony+ISO.9660.problems.*.*.addressed.by.this.specification+up.to.128.bytes+Philips+System-Use-*+ISO.9660.Ambiguities+Rock.Ridge#recording

...hmmmm..think i will go with USB.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks; someone e-mailed me and suggested

A network is not an option.

Reply to
Robert Baer

*-*-*-was-intended-*-*-*-*+*.*.*.*.*.*.PNP.IDs.for.*.more.devices+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-already-recognized-*-*-*+previously.attempted+Disclaimers+*-only-driver-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-ID-numbers+*.looked.around.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*+sometimes+slower+Windows.NT.4+*-*-*-for-DOS+*-*-*-worked-perfectly&strip=1 Thanks; someone else suggested

Robert Baer

ay

sb.htm

You could add a network card. The advantage to using a network is there were network drivers for DOS back in the day. It's not really a hack. There were never USB drivers for DOS back in the day. It seems to me the USB solutions are not exactly using DOS, but whatever comes from the OS used in boot disks. I suppose this is OK, but it isn't the same as running open dos or free dos.

Reply to
miso

Late at night, by candle light, Robert Baer penned this immortal opus:

*-based-on-*-*-*-1988-standard+64.unicode.characters+ISO.9660.Restrictions+Sony+ISO.9660.problems.*.*.addressed.by.this.specification+up.to.128.bytes+Philips+System-Use-*+ISO.9660.Ambiguities+Rock.Ridge#recording

If the purpose is for backup/copy, mount the DOS drive to the Linux system and from there burn to the CD.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to