CD driver for DOS

Is there *any* CD driver that works in DOS for a SATA drive? Have tried about 6 or so drivers, and none of them see it. Have: CDR810.SYS, ATAPICD.SYS, IDECD.SYS, CYBIDE.SYS, oakcdrom.sys, gscdrom.sys, and ASUSCD.SYS.

Reply to
Robert Baer

SATA legacy support is only promised for the first hard drive.

you may have to upgrade your operating system to one that has sata drivers.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I doubt it; DOS has been dead for a decade (with "dead" defined by the h/w vendors not caring if the h/w works under DOS, not by whether or not some users care; the former matters, the latter doesn't).

If you only need DOS to run legacy applications, try DOSbox. OTOH, if you want DOS because you need direct I/O port access, you could try DOSemu under Linux.

Reply to
Nobody

Isn't FreeDOS the thing to use in circumstances like this? My understanding is that it's out there, available and maintained.

(But I have no direct experience, so it's up to you to google around).

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00686.html

The idea of using a virtual environment has also been mentioned and this far into the 21st Century seems most apt.

Reply to
JeffM

Limited I/O access is available under Windows XP. I've successfully used the serial port in QBasic (in a cmd window, not Dosbox), but not the parallel port for some reason. If you're writing your own stuff, there are tricks available, like inpout32 and GiveIO, which consist of a driver interface that allows simple access. I used inpout32 to write a Win32 executable that runs a parallel port RAM read/writer.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

My Primary Master is PATA, the CD is SATA. Upgrade DOS??? Well, where do i get that DOS SATA driver?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I run a number of programs in pure DOS; it is a pita to switch to Win98Se or Win2K just to read a CD and then switch back. Some of these programs use direct I/O which gooies prevent. With my older systems, it was all PATA and there was no problem to read CDs.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hmmm...worth looking into. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

How about printing to a printer, then use of PRN2FILE for re-direction?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Upgrade from DOS. what do you need dos for?

OTOH freedos seems to have one, tried that?

google this:

freedos sata cd

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Archimedes' Lever

Do from an emulator session from within Linux then.

Not all of them.

Duh.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Net Use.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

0686.html

Have you considered one of those little SATA to IDE(PATA) converter gizmos? Put the SATA drive and adapter onto a PATA port and use it as PATA. They look like they'd be great for legacy support without drivers!

Are there many systems have NO PATA ports?

Reply to
Greegor

gscdrom.sys, and

This might work:

or find an old pata cdrw drive. They are all over thrift stores and swap meets for a couple of bucks....Paul

Reply to
catguy

gscdrom.sys, and

for a couple of

That WILL work. Mainly because it will be transparent to the SATA I/O port perspective as well as the PATA.

But that would require that he also have Std PATA IDE interface on his machine. It is at the MOBO integrated I/O port level that DOS fails. The controllers on the drives are the same. The I/O ports on the MOBO are what there are no DOS drivers for.

A simple PCI PATA card and CD Drive will work... maybe because PCI was AFTER DOS as well, but there was some post DOS development in that realm.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

snipped-for-privacy@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00686.html

I took someone's advice and looked at freedos and obtained UIDE.SYS which works like a charm.

Reply to
Robert Baer

There is something scratching at the back of my mind that something like some BIOS' have switches to make SATA look more like PATA for booting purposes. And that somehow a bios like that could also make a SATA CD drive could be made to look like a PATA CD. I also seem to remember two level drivers for CD for DOS, and something like NACDEX.SYS.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yep, there is the device driver that is/can be manufacturer dependent, like NEC_CD.SYS that is loaded in CONFIG.SYS and then there is the DOS interface to the device that is MSCDEX.EXE . Win95 came with some generic drivers that worked for a LOT of drives, but they would all still be ignorant of anything specific to SATA drives. I would think the BIOS should handle most of the grunt work and the drivers just handle the upper layers. I wonder if DR-DOS handles this stuff. I have a copy of it, but I haven't loaded it on any new hardware.

Reply to
WangoTango