OT: Why welfare doesn't work!

When I was a kid... way before Pres. Johnson's tampering, I don't recall "projects". Our "poor" were simply scattered amongst us all.

We need a system that rewards efforts to escape poverty. Democrats are all for "progressive" taxation but seem to avoid "progressive" rewards to get out of welfare. Lumped reverse taxation keeps people comfortable and least willing to work (and voting Democrat). I'd go for a 10¢ benefit reduction for each dollar earned, rather than the sharp cut-off that exists now. Reward getting educated (paid for by the "system") with a bonus. Also a bonus for getting a job (and keeping it for a year).

That'll never happen... they'd soon become Republicans ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 The difference between a horse\'s asshole & Bill Sloman\'s mouth?
                            Lipstick!
I\'ll leave it to your imagination which orifice has the lipstick!
Now ignore the dumb-fuck shit-headed leftist weenie-bastard LIAR!

"living"

s/can't/won't/

They won't because someone is there to do it for them.

Very few. Most will take care of themselves, given the choices.

Yet people do. Willingly.

Not frequent enough.

No thanks. No Internet connection.

--
Keith
Reply to

hink=20

living"=20

that=20

e. So=20

=20

up by=20

or continue to deal drugs and pimp their women.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

We already have a system that rewards efforts to escape from poverty. If you escape, you get to live in a neighborhood where you don't need bars on your windows and a gun.

However, I agree with your idea of a universal minimum wage. Pay everybody 10k a year in monthly checks, and tax all consumption at

10%. Make the estate tax 95% again. Offer free health care to all, ensure that affordable housing exists, and provide free college to anybody who can qualify. Tax corporate profits at the same levels as other western countries.

Once that is done, we will have a REAL 'level playing field' within which people can exploit their talents for the good of themselves and society. You'll still have the Rich and the Poor, but you won't have 'the rich class' and 'the poor class'. It will actually be possible for people to move from poor to rich in a single generation (and the other way as well... can you say "Paris Hilton"?)

Also, we should outlaw corporations. The owners of companies (and that includes shareholders) should be financially and criminally responsible for any damage that the companies cause. The current scheme enables the rich to escape any liability far too easily, and thus enables corporations to do many very questionable things in persuit of profit.

Have you looked at the republican party lately?

Reply to
Robert Monsen

Now. Now. That's very un-Democrat-like ;-)

Huh? Where did I ever say universal minimum wage?

Why? You don't want to leave your kids a nest egg?

That's fine.

I do hope you understand that US corporation taxes are some of the HIGHEST in the world... that's a good portion of the reasons why jobs are going overseas. So you're saying, "LOWER US corporate taxes" ?:-)

They already are. Ask the ENRON types presently sitting in the penitentiary.

Have you looked at the Democrat (communist) party lately?

...Jim Thompson

 The difference between a horse\'s asshole & Bill Sloman\'s mouth?
                            Lipstick!
I\'ll leave it to your imagination which orifice has the lipstick!
Now ignore the dumb-fuck shit-headed leftist weenie-bastard LIAR!

Nice to meet someone that understand the real problems facing us today.=20 It isn't terrorists, it's the fact that corporations run the show.=20

It was Reagan that greatly increased the reduction per dollar earned. Until then, people on welfare had significant motive to earn what they can.

Meanwhile, each party mostly does little to fix what the other party broke. Failings of both parties mostly hang around for quite a while and pile up.

Don Klipstein