OT: Why the US will never go metric....

I did it. Just the way he said, and I even did it before I read his rules.

He may not like the answer though.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Sad thing is that you have obviously blown something else that most real men possess. Something that it is now clear that you'll never recover from. In that area, you are simply irrecoverably 'hard wired dumb'.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Your rules said no math, idiot.

An reasonably smart man would know which way the error moves and approximately by how much, using the calibration location as a reference, which is all that matters with a weight scale. 100% oblivious folks like you simply rely on the reading and look for a date on the cal sticker, and think your reading is accurate. Oblivious folks like you do not consider error at that level. Oblivious folks like you glance over a concept or rule in a book, and then think that you are an expert on it from that point forward, when in reality you have little or no grasp of it whatsoever.

Like you and the solvent vapor cloud thing, where you think that the PCB being cleaned will rise in temp too fast to let the VAPOR do the cleaning, like the design calls for. NO. You, in your infinite wisdom, think that the assembly equalizes in temp with the cloud and no cleaning would take place. You are an idiot.

Like you and the torque thing.

Like you and the Spice attitude thing

Like you and the scale thing.

I know where all my test gear got calibrated, and which are affected by environmental factors. Do you?

I think I could do the math on that answer.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

You asked a yes or no question, idiot. I gave more of an answer than you even asked for.

Your common sense number is near zero.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

of

You were given the answers, John. It simply comes down to the fact that you are NOT a 'reasonable man', much less a 'reasonably intelligent man'.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

No you cannot. What makes you think that G decreases (or increases)linearly?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

of

No, I invented the puzzle, and the answer, in the shower this morning. It took less than a minute. If anybody knows elementary physics, it's simple.

John

I doesn't!

John

It does vary, just not linearly.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

of

My thinking was...

Delta one mile out of 4000 is 1 part in 4000. Account for the r^2 thing and you get 1 part in 2000. My weight, or the accuracy of the scale, will change a lot more than that in three hours, even if I don't stop to pee. So the change in altitude is way down in the measurement noise.

240,000 miles is 60 earth radii. G falls as r^2, so 3600. And the moon is small and light. Again, way down in the noise.

People who can't do this should sell shoes for a living.

John

Quit flailing. Real man can do math.

John

An apple dropped from 120,000 ft and read as it passes through 119,000 ft will fall ever so slightly slower than an apple dropped from 1000 ft above the dead sea shore.

For the purpose of the claim, if you wish, you can assume the falls occur inside tubes containing no gas (vacuum).

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

of

Jeez. This idiot is tossing things into this like 'his weight' change due to evaporation or other retarded parameter.

John, you are one lame fucktard.

No, it isn't, idiot.

Better get on Monster. Beat feet, dumbfuck.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

How much slower?

John

Oh, well...
Reply to
John Fields

To paraphrase, from memory: Some guys at some science facility challenged everyone to come up with a problem that they couldn't solve in a minute, within 5%. Feynman thought about it for a second and said "the tangent of ten to the 40th power."

John

Big G doesn't change at all. Little g (the force of gravity on the Earths surface) will go as 1/r^2. For small changes in r the change is approximately linear... first term in the taylor expansion if you want to think of it that way. And it does go as 2*delta-R/Rearth

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

for small enough changes it is linear!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well, you can say that about most anything.

But for g, sure.

2 * 2 = 4

1.1 * 1.1 = 1.21

1.01 * 1.01 = 1.0201

1.001 * 1.001 = 1.002001

and like that.

John

ds used

many of

every

ver

mass.

ted

,

Yeah I just don't have numbers for the earth moon distance and such in my head.... 6 x 10^6 meters is in my head... (I don't know why? I TAed freshman physics many moons ago... I'm afraid I learned a lot more than the students.)

George H.

I was thinking I might be able to 'get there' by knowing the period... But anyway.

Reply to
George Herold