OT: What would you do?

Ex-soldier faces a minimum of 5 years in jail for handing in gun

-- Darrett Computer Repair mrdarrett [at] gmail [dot] com Free estimates. No charge if we can't fix it.

Reply to
Michael

Bury it where it lay, without touching it?

At least if I were living in GB!

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

And let all that lead dissolve and leach into the groundwater? Horror!

Reply to
Michael

Tim Wescott wrote in news:zp6dnWQwvqCzqp7WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

Such is "justice" in the United Kingdom.

Not much common sense there,evidently.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Given the actions of the police and prosecution it is only logical to assume that if the gun were on your property they would charge you with possession even if you knew nothing about it. If you call and tell them about a gun (even if it was not on your property) they would charge you with ownership as you knew it's location. Ergo the best course of action would be to tell a local criminal and let them go get it. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Astonishing. There is no defense against the "crime" of handling a gun, no matter what the circumstances. If someone hands you a bouquet of flowers that has a handgun hidden inside, I suppose you go to prison. If you take a gun away from a terrorist who is about to kill a bus full of kids, ditto.

The UK is becoming a madhouse. No wonder so many Brits emigrate to the USA.

John

Fortunately, that's not Arizona. Here they'd probably put the gun in "lost & found", and then give it to the ex-soldier after it went unclaimed. ...Jim Thompson

  Nancy Pelosi is living proof that Botox causes mental illness.

Naaaah! Hong Kong, New Zealand, and Australia.

As Spehro pointed out, put company headquarters in Hong Kong, manufacture in China.

The USA is entering the same brain-drain phase as GB did some years ago. ...Jim Thompson

If you wanted a President with balls why didn\'t you elect Hillary?

The constable touched it--why wasn't he arrested?

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Keep the gun?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Hmm. The way I read it, the charge was for possesing the gun _at_the_police_station_.

Same thing over here. I can carry my gun around or keep it in the drawer at home. But carrying weapons into a police station (or courthouse, school, or various other places) is strictly forbidden.

This guy should have secured it at his home and called the police for further instructions on how to take care of it.

Windows tip #248: add BUGS=OFF to your registry.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

What on earth is the point of having a jury then? If the jury were forced to find him guilty on some stupid legal technically, then they all should have walked out in disgust. Get the next lot in who then also walk out in disgust, and so on... and so the guy will never get around to getting convicted. Work the system that works against you :->

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

John

"David L. Jones"

** The accused opted for a jury trail by pleading not guilty at an earlier stage. I suspect if he had pleaded guilty and explained all the circumstances, he would have got small fine or similar.
** A jury is never forced to find an accused guilty - but they may be directed to acquit for any number of reasons. While it is very rare for a jury to ignore a judge's directions as to how they should deal with a particular case - nevertheless they CAN and will never need to supply their reasons.
** They cannot do that - it would be contempt.

But they can decide to ignore the judge's advice and acquit an accused because they believe the law itself is wrong.

The matter is then OVER because of the principle of "double jeopardy".

BTW:

I think there is more to this case than the newspaper story has provided us.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Last time I checked, the cops have guns. Why not call one and wait for the cop to show up, and then point out the location of the gun.

I simply don't understand people that don't comprehend personal responsibility. If you can't posses a gun, then maybe it's not a good idea to posses a gun. Doh! But the right wing loons make up all sorts of excuses for people that don't have personal responsibility.

Christ, look at how Cheney got off the hook for shooting someone in the face. The USSS hid his drunk ass from the cops for 24 hours.

Reply to
miso

Perhaps now you understand why i'm so keen on getting this lot out at the next election, before they do yet more damage.

I could write a book on the amount of kneejerk, ill considered legislation introduced by Blair, Brown & Co. Far too dangerous to be allowed to run a tea room, never mind a country :-(...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

That must be the case, otherwise a (sensible) jury would have found him not guilty of such a clearly ridiculous charge. Not to mention the arresting cop who could have exercised judgement in the first place.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

What do you expect? Laws are written by lawyers so obviously it's more lucrative to be as obscure as possible. The more ways a law can be interpreted the longer it can be drawn out in court resulting in a cash for life bonanza for lawyers.

When your looking at years if not decades for cases to be resolved something is wrong.

Some other prime examples in Canada is the vagueness surrounding the level of force your allowed to use protecting self and property. A current example; a man is being charged for holding a shoplifter for police who repeatedly stole from his store. His initial charge was kidnapping. Public outrage pressured the crown to levy less serious charges but the man shouldn't be charged at all.

Hammy

At least the US politicians have their priorities straight. All they want is our money.

John

Same issue in the US. Perp was "chased down", seized, and locked in a truck.

Tricky. In AZ it's considered simply a "citizen's arrest". In NY you'd go away for life.

Thus I think trying KSM in NY is proper. NY needs population "thinning and correction" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

If you wanted a President with balls why didn\'t you elect Hillary?