OT: What to do with VW Diesel?

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 08:39:37 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

You're an idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Well, there will likely be a performance difference with keeping the EGR open a lot of the time. Maybe some driveability problems under certain conditions. But, no way to really know until the mandatory software changes are installed.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Since you are Always Wrong, thanks for the compliment.

Compensating owners of the cars with $5000 or whatever will not bring their emissions into legal compliance. Every cheater diesel will have to be repaired (if that's possible) or repurchased (and what will VW do with them?)

Do you have a VW diesel? I never understood why anyone would buy one.

lunatic fringe electronics

CARB most certainly will not leave them on the road past this year, unless they ARE fixed. Not going to be a whole lot of happy people after this pot comes to a full boil.

CARB has also said that as of March (I think) they had no schedule to certify any VW Diesel cars for the 2017 model year. That most likely means VW will not be allowed to sell any Diesels in CA for the 2017 year, and they can try again for 2018.

Other states might take a little longer to react on this, but states with large cities are likely to get heavy-handed at some point, too. Dallas, Chcago, St. Louis, NYC, Boston, Washington DC metro area all have EPA enforcement limits they have to keep an eye on.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The gasoline powered VWs are pretty good cars. If VW survives, I suspect that most of their output will be non-diesel.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yes, this bust will sure sour some people on Diesel cars. GM's Diesel debacle, maybe 20 years ago, just about eliminated Deisel passenger cars from US roads for a long time. VW and a few Mercedes were the only ones I've seen in a long time.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 16:07:20 -0500, Jon Elson Gave us:

Maybe you should learn how to spell it first.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

$5K *is* the compensation.

That's not what was said before but if so, obviously something's going to have to give in that case.

How long as the air bag recall been going on? Two years?

Reply to
krw

Give them to Obama. He knows what to do with clunkers.

I don't either but with diesel prices cheaper than gasoline and the higher mileage (~25%?), it might make sense. But at 2$ gas, probably not and when it was $4, diesel was $5 (so definitely not).

Reply to
krw

unless skewed by taxes diesel should be more expensive than gasoline, diesel has ~10% more energy per volume

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It's not taxes. The oil market is skewed right now. I did a 2500mi drive in the last couple of weeks and the price of the two varied from about 10% high to 10% low.

Separate issue but the difference in mileage between "Southern" gas and "Yankee" gas was pretty obvious, too. As soon as I got to PA, my mileage fell 10% and picked back up when I crossed back South. The gas got 10% (to 20%) more expensive, at the same time as the mileage fell 10%. Much of that may be taxes, but not all.

Reply to
krw

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 18:37:47 -0400, krw Gave us:

My '85 straight diesel Jetta got 42 MPG on a bad day.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

[deleted...]

It's not that diesel fuel has much more energy, the difference with gasoline is but small. A diesel engine is more efficient.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Wrong. Actually a diesel is less efficient usually, but does take advantage of the more BTUs stored in that form of fuel. This comes back to the laws of thermodynamics.

Even in gas engines, when there is more ethanol in the fuel it gets worse m ileage. When they use propane or natural gas, they get alot less power out of it and therefore have to burn more of it. If you doubt this, try burning butane in your car. You'll probably get five miles to the whatever and shi tty performance because the injectors can't go beyond 100 % duty cycle.

Read the owners manual for a flex fuel car. They don't take diesel fuel but it kinda explains about the difference in the fuels. There is a good reaso n we go to war for fuel. Good fuel, gasoline that is, is really not easy to make. That shitty oil out of Kuwait and a few other places just won't yiel d as much fuel. The places we bomb have that light sweet crude that commend s the premium price, and yields the most gasoline and other aromatics, and gases. That thick shit gets you motor oil and tranny fluid and linoleum.

Actually, WV (Wolksvagon) could argue that being diesel the fuel took less energy to refine, and they would be right.

Tell you what. It is possible nothing happens and this will all be forgotte n by the end of the year. Really, how much else have we forgotten ? Scandal after scandal, and then a new one and everyone forgets the old one.

Diesels used to be exempt from emission testing, even cars. Cars sold with diesel engines were sough after by car enthuiasts who wanted to build racec ars because they could still be street legal. The GMs were all Olds 350 blo cks, the only block that could handle the pressure. So all you needed was a similar block. In fact use the one that came with it if it is good. They w ere the superest duty blocks out there and you can supercharge them and all that. Granted, some of them had a cam walk problem if you put in a roller cam but then that is why you have it blueprinted. (and squared)

Like old cars ?

:

jurb6006

Look it up.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

ge of the more BTUs stored in that form of fuel. This comes back to the law s of thermodynamics.

Diesels are more efficient, they run slower = less friction, higher compression=more efficient colder = less heat loss no throttle = less pumping loss at medium loads

but it isn't is quite as much as it might seem, because fuel is sold by volume not weight and by volume diesel contains ~10% more joules

mileage. When they use propane or natural gas, they get alot less power ou t of it and therefore have to burn more of it. If you doubt this, try burni ng butane in your car. You'll probably get five miles to the whatever and s hitty performance because the injectors can't go beyond 100 % duty cycle.

diesels run on LPG or gasoline turbo engine run on ethanol often makes more power

the reason milage is bad is because they are light so you need more of it

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 13:55:48 +0200, Jeroen Belleman Gave us:

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

A distinction without a difference.

Reply to
krw

Supposedly, the fraud has now been discovered to encompass almost 500,000 cars! $2B only leaves $2000 per owner. Wow, that is NOT going to cover it!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

They said $5K/car but that's just details.

Reply to
krw