OT: What's Wrong With The U. S. Economy

The following is from an email being passed around at work. Thought I'd share it here:

"The New Budget Deal

Federal Budget: $3,820,000,000,000 (3.82 trillion) Income: $2,170,000,000,000 (2.17 trillion) New Debt: $1.650,000,000,000 (1.65 trillion) Amount Cut: $38,500,000,000 (38,5 billion, about 1% of the total budget)

Total National Debt: $14,271,000,000,000 before this year's budget

Big numbers are easier to think about if we can put them in a familiar perspective; let's remove eight zeroes from each of those numbers and pretend this is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family.

Jones family spending this year: $38,200

Total family income this year: $21,700

Debt added to family credit card this year: $16,500

Previous outstanding credit balance: $142,710

New outstanding credit balance: $159,210

So last week the Joneses sat down at the kitchen table and agreed to cut $385 from their yearly expenses."

Of course, the Jones' breadwinner(s) lack the option of forcing their employer to give them a raise...

Mark L. Fergerson

PS typed while sleep deprived

Reply to
alien8752

You voted for these idiots. Another great depression is on its way. US rating will be junk within 3years.

Reply to
cbarn24050

I'm really really disappointed by the Tea Party Republicans that didn't stand fast and cut a whole shitpot load of other spending, like defunding PBS and NPR and NEA and EPA and TSA and Homeland Security and all those useless bureaucracies; defunding Our Glorious Beloved Infallible Leader's armies of "czars," admitting that the attacks on the Middle East were a Bad Idea right from the get-go and bringing our troops home to actually defend OUR borders, and just writing a budget that balances.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sometime around 1900 the USA overtook Britain. It was not immediately the biggest empire, nor the biggest military power nor even clearly the biggest industrial power. Yet looking back that's what happened.

Sometime between 2008 and 2015 will be a year that historians pick as the moment the West as a whole ceded the future to Asia, and China in particular.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply to