OT: What microwaving does to water

Anyone want to take a stab at the different outcomes?

The most obvious experimental difficiency to me is that the sample size is only two plants ; a bed of at least a few dozen saplings seems like it would have been a better experiment.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Yep, It's a sample size issue. Probably the wilted plant was sick to begin with.

...Jim Thompson

         Old Latin teachers never die...they just decline

What was it microwaved in? A plastic container that releases dozens of VOCs?

"The first part she heated to boiling in a pan on the stove, and the second part she heated to boiling in a microwave."

Doesn't specify what type of container was used in the microwave part...

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Well I would let it cool down first or did they do it directly.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Well, I never boiled any water for watering, allthough putting earth in the microwave to get rid of other contaminents crossed my mind. Perhaps a new test.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Heh, I believe microwave beams have been suggested to sterilize earth in situ. Not being a gardener, I don't remember why...

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

And double blind too. In the case of the potted plant, there seems to be a diifference in the colour of the soil used. I've the strongest feeling this "experiment" was a set up- not necessarily by the young experimenter.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Duh, it cooks it.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

is

would

i was annoyed by the lack of information on the "primary investigator" notably including age. For a grade school kid this could rate interesting, for a high school kid this would rate where is the backup, method, etc.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller