OT: Vulcan Hand Gesture

There's a photo circulating today showing Obama with Lt. Uhura (actress Nichelle Nichols) doing the Vulcan Hand Gesture.

I can't do that. Is it a genetic thing like the curled tongue that some people can do (my wife can, and I can't :-) ? ...Jim Thompson

Yes, it is. In fact, as I recall some character on the show (Spock's father, I think) couldn't just spontaneously do it either, but if he used his other hand to first move the fingers apart, he was able to hold the position at least for a bit. Hence all the shots you see of him are already with the fingers separated; he's never shown actually going from non-separated to separated fingers in a continuous shot.

More Trek trivia: James Doohan's (Scotty) right middle finger was shot off in World War II. There are only a few episodes where this is visible, as at the time they didn't want people thinking of Scotty as somehow being disabled, I guess.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I believe so, although practice helps.

As does being able to raise one eyebrow, as DeForest Kelly used to do a lot. I was a hopeless Trekkie as a child. It's just as well that Klingon was invented as a language after I no longer had so much spare time on my hands, else I'd be speaking the Warrior's Tongue.

buy' ngop, y'all.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Must be genetic. I can do that hand gesture on both hands, never needed training. My wife can't do it no matter how hard she tries.

Does that mean I can run for president? Oh wait, no, that could lead to a birth certificate issue ... :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Coincidentally, I was practising that earlier today. There is a martial arts technique which uses the index and middle fingers for a strike to the eyes. IMHO this is likely to end badly for the attacker without a good deal of luck. The Vulcan salute (but with the thumb tucked in) seems much stronger with the extra support but does need practice to deploy quickly. I didn't realise it was tricky for some - I'll see how the class handles it.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Coincidentally, I was watching the three stooges.....

brent

That reminds of a long-ago event (like 1974). #2 Daughter, at about age 10, kept being intercepted by a bully on her way home from school, knocking her books, and French Horn to the ground.

So I showed her the flat fist... I have no idea what it's officially called, but fingers are straight out until first knuckle _away_ from hand, then complete turn-under. I told her simply to lay into it right under his nose.

She came home one day all smiles and bloody up to her elbow.

A few minutes later Principal calls, laughing so hard he's almost hysterical. Bully came screaming into his office that Jennifer "beat him up".

He never bullied again :-) ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

ial

Actually,

after some investigation, it looks like 3 stooges have lots of martial arts moves in their repertoire.

brent

Is y'all Klingon? I thought it was Yat.

I love that line, the one about Shakespeare being so much better in the original Klingon.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

She's now chief chemist for the City of Phoenix water labs ;-) ...Jim Thompson

It is muscle control.

I can do it with my incorrect, left hand, but my ring finger on my right hand will not pull the finger along side the baby finger, because my brain and motor control on that one muscle was never properly established. So my right hand has the two fingers together, but the other two are separated.

This damned thing went through here before, and the lame-Os came out of the woodwork making retarded peanut gallery remarks about everyone but themselves.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

No, no, no; it was NOT shot off..he was too vigorous when he GAVE the middle finger to some SOB.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Your response to her should have been "You GO, girl!".

Reply to
Robert Baer

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

of

all roads lead to rome

Reply to
brent

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I can do it easily left handed,since I'm left-handed. I can do it rightie with a lot of effort.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No idea, but I have an anecdote. I was in hospital one night having had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome earlier that day. A male nurse came round to check on my hand. He asked me to move my fingers around, which I did. Then he suggested that I do the Vulcan salute, which I also did. I think he hadn't been serious, and was a bit surprised ;)

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

If it's genetic it goes back to which of Noah's sons one is descended from:

(ducks)

Seriously, I can do it but I'm not Jewish. Closest I get is German on my mother's side of the family (nee Huffman).

N. B.; Mark Lenard (played Spock's father Sarek) couldn't do it but he could force his fingers into position with his other hand and hold it long enough to shoot a scene.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

ome

ttdesign.com

Ineresting you added eyebrows.

I can repeatably do the vulcan salute with either hand, opening then closing, pretending to do a hand shadow of a 'barking' dog.

Here's a challenge. Can you do vulcan, then two middle fingers together with the index and little finger splayed? Keep that ring and middle finger tight together. And, alternating rapidly back and forth between those two positions?

I can also do each hand as alternative =3D left hand into vulcan, while right hand into the splayed position described above, and back and forth with each hand in opposite configuration.

If you have trouble there is a trick. Do NOT think in terms of finger/ hand position. If you do that, you'll end up simply wiggling your fingers. Rather, think in terms of the'feel' for what the position is to your hand and mentally go after the feel, not the mental image of the finger position. Meaning, left hand feel for the index and middle finger and the little finger and ring finger to be touching (vulcan salute) on the right hand feel the ring and middle finger touch and cool for the other two. Then just go back and forth, piece of cake.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I guess given the current slate of candidates, I could be talked into voting for a Klingon. Would sure lead to some interesting debates. :)

Reply to
mpm

He was hitting on you, and just wanted to know if you had feelings. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs